Finnaly a sunny day at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 21st, 2007, 11:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Finnaly a sunny day

and since 5 days with the A1 today I'll be playing with it for the very first time. Woohooo! Don't you love first time's? Camera talking here :)
I think I'm going to the coast let's see what I see in my way there...

Cheers

Alexis
Alexis Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 02:31 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The Sun must hate me... another rainy day...
Old April 21st, 2007, 02:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Think positive! At least you'll have more time to learn the new camera before sunny shootings ;)
Poppe Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 03:16 PM   #4
Major Player

on the issue of sunny shooting - I've been reading on the posts about keeping shutter speed constant if possible. But on big sun days is it still common practice to keep the shutter at for example 1/60.

I was down at the park playing with the manual settings yesterday in full sun and the shutter speed recommended on auto was 1/500.

What I do now is check with the exposure lock on the auto settings to see what the out of the box is doing, and then go from there. Can't remember who recommended it here.

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 03:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

One thing I did noticed: Is not as easy as the XL2, at least for me. Maybe just because I'm so into the XL2 viewfinder that I can't see a thing in the Lcd. I guess is a matter of time and practice.

Too bad, I could have got a better shot of the girl in Red bikini... :) ufff

I need to practice more.

Alexis
Old April 21st, 2007, 05:30 PM   #6
Major Player

me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Vazquez View Post
One thing I did noticed: Is not as easy as the XL2, at least for me. Maybe just because I'm so into the XL2 viewfinder that I can't see a thing in the Lcd. I guess is a matter of time and practice.

Too bad, I could have got a better shot of the girl in Red bikini... :) ufff

I need to practice more.

Alexis
I am in the same boat with you on this.. being a former XL2 owner I have really been missing the viewfinder and shoulder mount. So much so that I have been considering getting just one XL-H1 to go along with my other XH-A1's. Some things I have found on this forum however have helped.. Like buying a Z1's rubber evf mount ($50 - worth it); and getting a J-rod (although I am making my own version :) this is for a shotgun mic/accessory holder. Which will alow me to switch between shotgun and wireless lav.. with a switch like on the XL2.. say goodbye to menus.. I don't like menus.. which I was spoiled with the XL cam.

The stabilization is very tricky now.. especially if you plan to add a wide adapter to the front end. My recomend is getting either a flowpod/monopod and/or getting the DV Media Rig from VariZoom:
http://www.varizoom.com/products/sup...VMediaRig.html
Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:11 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for your advice,

Padilla,

I already ordered the eyepiece, I hope it help a little. I was planning in getting another A1 but now not so sure, I think I'm going with the H1 whenever price drops a bit. Hey my best friend is also Padilla from PR, where are you from?

Alexis
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:41 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Vazquez View Post
Thanks guys for your advice,

Padilla,

I already ordered the eyepiece, I hope it help a little. I was planning in getting another A1 but now not so sure, I think I'm going with the H1 whenever price drops a bit. Hey my best friend is also Padilla from PR, where are you from?

Alexis
I have actually been going by the name Neuman; but originally it was Padilla.. my father changed it when I was young.. got tired of people calling him pa-dill-a; instead of pa-dee-a. Oh we'll anyways were in SOCAL.
One thing I am happy about is the use of a handheld stabilizer with the A1 vs. needing a full steadicam rig. Which I have (also from Varizoom) that I love, but isn't absolutly nessasary with the A1.. which with my XL2's was perfect.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders