Bit dissapointed with the A1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 28th, 2007, 04:26 AM   #31
Major Player

Thanks for all the tips, I'm really getting to grips with the camera now, I'm shooting in TV most of the time now with in 25F, shutter at 50 and with the exposure locked so that I can keep control of it. I guess I could do the same thing in Manual but I just seem to have settled into this way of shooting.

here's a quick comparison showing the kind of difference I'm seeing since I started this thread, the original grab is at the bottom. This was just screen grabbed from Premier so it's not the best quality in terms of sharpness etc but I think you'll agree that there is a major change in colour depth. It's hard to believe that there's only a week between the two shots, the tree's have grown at the same speed as my knowledge of the camera! :)

Paul.

http://www.olikai.com/images/comp.jpg

edit// here's another interior shot comparison.
http://www.olikai.com/images/comp2.jpg

Last edited by Paul Joy; April 28th, 2007 at 04:57 AM.
Paul Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #32
Major Player

Nice comparison

is that from one of the presets or your own creation? Huge difference from before

I'm trying to shoot mostly in manual now, but some painful learning curves at my end.

I am still trying to figure out the difference between TV with exposure lock engaged and manual setting, what the tv advantage would be

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Kerr View Post
is that from one of the presets or your own creation? Huge difference from before
I've been experimenting with a lot of the custom presets from the thread here, I really like the VIVIDRGB preset but find it to push the reds way to far into a magenta scale for my needs. Shooting property results in shooting a lot of red brick which is not a good subject for that preset.

The newer examples above are shot using the -3DB preset from http://www.fxsupport.de/20.html which does seem to do a very nice job of showing accurate colour. I think it might be a little too contrasty / saturated but I'm going to play around with that. I can't remember which one the older ones were shot with, but my main fault was that I was letting the iris close too much instead of using ND to control light levels.

Paul.
Paul Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #34
Major Player

Did you use the original vividgrb - it had a magenta problem - near the end of that thread, Steve posted revised settings for that preset that adjusted it

I haven't tried shooting with the gain at a minus level, but it's on the list. : ) I will check out that link as well. Thanks

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders