XH A1, Final Cut Pro Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 22nd, 2007, 03:58 PM   #1
Tourist

XH A1, Final Cut Pro Question

I shot my footage with a Canon XH A1 in HDV 24P and I'm using Final Cut Pro 5.1.4. In FCP, I used the HDV 1080p/24 Easy Setup. The footage plays fine in the viewer, but when I place clips in the Sequence timeline, it tells me that I need to render the clips.

Do I need to render every clip that I plan on working with in the timeline?

I would be grateful for any responses.

Thanks!
Neil Matsumoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 04:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Neil,
Exactly the same thing happened to me the first time i put my A1 footage in a FCP timeline awhile back. second time round - and subsequently - its been fine. Try opening a new sequence and if it still needs rendering copy it into a new project. failing that you'll have to recapture. Just make sure you get the first clip right before you continue capturing so you dont have to go through the whole thing all over again. Easy setup hdv 24p should be the only option you need to chose. I can't remember what i did first time round but i think i must have played with some other settings. Since then i have not had to render anything, however if you do try to render you get a Conforming to HDV window that takes forever to do its stuff.
No doubt there are plenty of other people on this site who can explain what this is all about better than me. Just thought i'd put in my POV since exactly the same thing happened to me the day i got the camera, but its been fine since.
Dom
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 05:40 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks for your help, Dom. I took your advice and it seems to be working now.

Neil
Neil Matsumoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 05:45 PM   #4
Wrangler

Neil,

The sequence you put your clips into has to be setup for the type of footage you're trying to edit. By default, often FCP gives you a DV/NTSC sequence at 29.97.

You need something completely different for 24p HDV. Delete the sequence you have now in your bin, go load the 24p HDV Easy Setup, and then make a new sequence. You will be set.

And, I swear I'm not trying to be snotty, but this stuff is FCP 101, and covered in the manual.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 05:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Nate's right. You just have to be sure the easy setup is the right format 1080 24f hdv BEFORE you make your sequence, otherwise you get what happened... No biggie.
Jeff Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders