A1 and Sony FX1 comparison out there? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 27th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #16
Major Player

thanks for all the interesting info so far. Wolfgang is there any chance you have that site in english as well? The images do speak for themselves a bit, but it seems they are both good for certain situations. I`m noticing it really will boil down to however I make the camera work for me will be whats important. I hope to find someone in my area that can teach me stuff hands on (as thats how I learn best), but until then you guys are rockin with helping me. Thanks. Any idea how ofeten B&h has the A1 in stock? (I may end up choosing it as I am learning the H1 at work so i`ll be familiar with the canon setup)
Old April 27th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #17
Wrangler

There's one nice feature on the Sony cameras which isn't mentioned very often and is something the other brands don't have (AFAIK). The LCD screen is transreflective, which means it reflects ambient light as well as being visible with its backlight. So you can go outside at noon on a sunny day and the LCD screen looks great - you can actually turn the backlight off in conditions like this.

There's another thread around somewhere discussing hoods for the Canon LCD monitor, and that made me think of this... you really don't need one on the FX1.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
regarding low light performance, i believe that both cameras are fairly similar, but HDV is simply not great in low light, period. with the release of its V1, Sony also released this fantastic on-camera light:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

i have one that i use on our A1s, and it is becoming an absolute must-have. it's completely controllable, with a dimmer switch and built-in diffusers, so you can cast just the amount that you need. and it's half the price of the similar Litepanels. great design, great build.

the other point i'd make is, that i've had the A1 for a month, maybe six weeks, and i'm pretty sure that with the custom settings, i could build a good low light custom preset. the existing library of presets don't work as well in low light as the factory presets (not even the one named "lowlight"), so i'm going to make my own, when i get some time for camera experiments. i think it will be an essential addition--but meanwhile, that Sony camera light works wonders with HDV.
Is there any way of recharging the battery on the light? Does it even come with a battery? Have to ask, because when I sold the Z1 the info-lithium 970 battery and charger went with.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders