A1 and water and humudity! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 27th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

A1 and water and humudity!

I'm taking my new A1 down to the san blas islands in panama this june with a misisons team to shoot a doc. I've been told it is very humid down there. Also, our main mode of transportation will be by boat. The leader of the team that went last year said that it rained a lot and everyone usually got pretty wet on the boat rides.

YIKES!!!

What do I need to do to prepare for this kind of trip? What are things I need to be looking out for for the camera's safety? ...aside from buying an underwater housing unit. I pretty much need to keep the camera out and rolling most of the time. I'm looking into getting a rain cover, but can't seem to find one I like. Most of the ones I find are to bulky. ...and what about that sennheiser shotgun mic sticking off my camera? will that be protected by a rain cover?

For the trip I will be carrying all my equipment in a camera backpack...and some unlucky team member will be carrying my sticks :o)
thanks for the advice!
Jeremiah McLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #2
Contributor

There's no easy way to do that shoot! All rain covers are going to be bulky. Ewa Marine makes a nice device, sort of a pillow case shape that slips over the top of the camera.

For the Florida shooting, in the rain, I've done, I just use a kitchen garbage bag, slipped over the top of the camera with a slit for the lens and viewfinder. Your hands go up under the bag. You cut the slits right they'll fit around the lens and VF with no need for a rubber band. I carry a roll of these bags in my gafferbag.

You might want to get some of that dessicant stuff to keep in your bag to help dry things out.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 09:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Air Conditioning

At the risk of stating the obvious-
Watch out for air conditioning- At very high humidity levels, if the camera is a fraction of a degree cooler than the air, you can get condensation inside the camera. I have found, with several cameras, it can take more than an hour for the camera to warm up inside a plastic bag. The bigger the camera the longer the time. I have tried putting the camera in the sun in a bag, but this is obviously risky.

If you are staying in an air conditioned place, either find a way to store the camera outside or allow lots of time in a sealed plastic bag before you need to shoot.

Rick
Rick Llewellyn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders