semi-OT : Nightmare of getting my A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 4th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #1
Major Player

semi-OT : Nightmare of getting my A1

As you may notice I`ve been around the forums lately asking a lot of questions, honing in on purchasing an A1 and all other things i`ll need for it. I`ve been quite stressed about it all really, since it`ll put me approx. 10 months in debt when all is said and done, but it is the future I am striving for, video/film production etc. I`m 27 years old and just realizing what I want to do besides the daily grind to pay bills, and they say its never to late to start, but its always a scary thing to jump into the deep end financially and work towards floating your way back to shore. I tried the route of investors, but in the end doing it myself will be cheaper. So all this stress has built up to my nightmare last night.

I finally took the plunge and ordered my A1. When I received it the eye view finder was in b+w and very low resolution. It looked all pixelated and horrendous. So I popped out the LCD screen and it looked the same! I called tech support and they said everything sounded fine, thats how it should look. I was horrified that I spent so much on such a bad camera...and i woke up pissed off about it. Oy. Maybe I`ve been reading too much on the forums as of late that induced the dream... so many things to consider to get a good image, quality, distribution and stuff.....whew. I feel better knowing it was just a dream.

Just thought I`d share. I think I`ll still be getting the A1. Just need the courage to finally place that order (once i decide on a tripod, carry bag/backpack) Hope you enjoyed my bout of insanity :P
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:05 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Quattrini View Post
....I called tech support and they said everything sounded fine, thats how it should look... Hope you enjoyed my bout of insanity :P
:)
Let's hope that this dream won't come true!
Poppe Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #3
Wrangler

Probably just something you ate before going to bed.
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #4
Wrangler

sometimes our dreams are giving us some good advice.

just be clear that this is not a beginner's camera, and you'll be fine. i'm simply amazed at how many people with minimal shooting experience expect to be able to operate one of these out of the box. canon has put a very complex instrument into a lot of beginners' hands at this price point, and they are very quick to blame the camera and very slow to realize what they are even holding. full auto in a camera of this caliber is a tool that you use in very specific situations, like in extremely fast conditions, that is, if you even bother to use it at all--this is not a point and shoot. i think they should have just eliminated this feature entirely because it sets the expectations for the camera too low...

i'm ordering a RED camera which should push my skills as much as the A1 will push yours, if you let it, and you can bet i won't be saying, "Gosh, what's wrong with this darn camera??" like i am hearing many newbie A1 owners...it will be more like, "I'm thrilled at the opportunity to push my skills to a new level by challenging myself with this extreme machine and all its incredibly innovative new features..."

keep that mindset, and you'll be fine.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #5
Major Player

heh yea, it may be one reason i`m still reluctant, I have an H1 at work and am still learning it, though I don't use it too much so I'm not learning that quick. I'm a do'er...have to hand hands on to learn things, so I do think once I have my own i'll be able to play around alot more with it. Its not the machine, my abilities, or my ambition I fear....its the fear of failure thats got me. More a personal thing I guess...I`m just afraid to drop the money and struggle to pay it back. Best case scenario i get good side work that pays it off quick, worst case, i`m locked in my job for another year with all my checks going to the debt i`ll incur...we shall see!
Old May 4th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #6
Wrangler

I wouldn't have nightmares over ordering a nice new camera. Just about any of the current crop are amazing by the standards of just a couple years ago.

I would just have nightmares realizing that if I want to shoot seriously, the cost of the camera is only a PART of the total cost to "do it right"...good tripod, lights, microphones, fishpole, bag/case, maybe a faster computer and/or upgraded software and so on and so forth. Wait...I just woke up and saw all that stuff and more cluttering up my home office ..... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Don't go into debt....

Look, I understand you want one of these, and trust me, I do to. I've been saving for a year for all of my personal gear.

As a professional, I would say work your way up to it unless you really know you can turn cash with it immediately. If you're going into debt for TEN MONTHS to buy a camera, then you better have a working business plan, consider this your life, or kill it in a year from shooting so much tape, or have a very good reason for it.

I have been saving for a year. A YEAR. I am a professional videographer in news, shoot on Beta SX every day and work at an HD television station, and I just can't cost justify it right now. NOT UNTIL I HAVE THE MONEY.

Why don't you get yourself an extra pick-up job, and when you have downtime, play with Avid Free DV or something like that in the mean time, and work on your skills. A cheap camera with XLR inputs and a iMac Dual Core will do you better for the money anyway.

Please, if you have to go into debt for ten months for a camera, then you owe it to yourself to wait a bit and pay outright. I promise the moon will not crash into the earth in the meantime.

Handy rule about life:
If you're doubting, that is the back of your mind screaming, "NO!"
Alex Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Lucas View Post
If you're doubting, that is the back of your mind screaming, "NO!"
I agree.

If you don't have a business plan, then your are planning for failure.

It should only take a couple of jobs to pay for the camera. Take some side jobs helping other videographers to pay for it while you build you own clientele.
Old May 4th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Late last summer, I had just about decided to take the plunge and get an HDV camera (I would've gotten a SONY FX-1 then), which would have, at the time, required my going into debt a bit. In the end, I decided to wait and save, which turned out to be worthwhile, in my opinion, since I feel like I ended up with a better camera for essentially the same amount of money.

I just got my A1 today, as a matter of fact.
Ryan Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Buy the hv20.
Buy a set of good lights.
Buy a Boom and a Mic.
Buy a good tripod.
Write a good 10 mins Short Script.
GO SHOOT

The above will give u a far better end result than JUST buying the A1 alone.

Plus, eventually you are going to need the hv20 to be used as a deck anyways.
Jason Strongfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
i'm simply amazed at how many people with minimal shooting experience expect to be able to operate one of these out of the box. canon has put a very complex instrument into a lot of beginners' hands at this price point, and they are very quick to blame the camera and very slow to realize what they are even holding.
I completely agree! One thing I learned from working with computers is that the last thing a user should do is to blame the tool he uses; same goes to the cameras. Years ago I moved from PS to SLR photo cameras. It took me a while to master, but I never regretted the move. I am hoping for the same experience with A1. I want my first footage to look worse than I expect, so I could get better and mastering the camera's controls and to improve as I learn more.
Maksim Yankovskiy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders