"Tape Heads Dirty" message! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 14th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #16
New Boot

Nothing againts Sony but I do have the same problem with their Premium DV tapes and I did try the Panasonic brand and the "Tape heads dirty" message is gone.
Danny Aldaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:17 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I'd be surprised if it were sony tapes causing the problem. I have always used new tapes for each wedding on my previous Sony, and my brother has always used Sony Premium with his Canon, without any problem.
Martin Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey View Post
It would be helpful if you posted a few seconds of that sound. Not familiar with it.

Regarding the dirty heads issue, I wouldn't worry about it. I've had that message a couple of times and it's gone away with using a cleaning tape.

There are so many particles in the air and on nearly every surface you encounter, it's almost impossible to keep your camera and tapes completely free of dust or whatever. Obviously if you keep getting the message there is call for concern and I would take it to a service center but occasional messages, I think, are normal.

Here's the sound Steven. I have found this quite randomly whilst editing the DVD, and i have found something similar in each wedding i have edited so far - some 'glitches' louder and longer than this one!

http://www.yousendit.com/download/UW...UzcrV3cwTVE9PQ
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #19
Major Player

Well... either I'm getting to old & my hearing isn't anything what it used to be... or you uploaded the wrong file :) I couldn't detect any glitch.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:40 AM   #20
Major Player

I didn't hear it at first but when I cranked up the computer volume all the way the click was there. Not good. I haven't been monitoring anything at that volume yet... so I can't confirm that happening at my end as of yet : (

Have to do some audio jigging to fix the bits but at least it's possible, though it doesn't instill alot of confidence for future events.

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:22 AM   #21
Contributor

I'm using Panasonic AMQ tapes and have had no problems at all.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I've just checked the tape, and it's fine, so it must be a capture fault.

Unfortunately still doesn't solve my tape head message problem though. ;–(
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Kerr View Post
I didn't hear it at first but when I cranked up the computer volume all the way the click was there.
I just used Audition's spectral view to see where it was, then I could hear it, although faint.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #24
New Boot

I have read too many threads on various forums with issues similar to this usually followed by "I always use sony premium tapes." I switched to panasonic tapes a long time ago and have had better results than sony's. Always shoot a fresh tape if you can to avoid dropouts. If your shooting weddings in HD I'm sure new tape stock is in the budget don't reuse a tape on the 2nd most important day in someones life.
Rob Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #25
Major Player

If i use wet Sony premium tapes, and want to clean the head, the cleaning cassette also must have a "wet" type?
In local store there is only dry type cleaning cassette.

thx,
Marton

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders