LCD's compared; XLA1 vs V1U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 13th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #1
Major Player

LCD's compared; XLA1 vs V1U

I am trying to decide on buying the XHA1 or the Sony V1U. I have handeled them both briefly at a Fry's electronics store however the A1 was not supplied with power.

The main reason for me wanting to go with the Sony V1U is that the LCD monitor is about twice the size of the XH A1. To me, this makes a huge difference. The sony's monitor was also very clear and sharp. My question is to all the A1 users; How do you like the LCD on the A1? Do you feel you can tell what kind of picture you are getting despite its small size? Is the picture sharp?

Another interesting note, is that they also had a JVC HD ergo HDD camera. When handling it i noticed that it's LCD monitor was the best, sharpest i'd ever seen on any video camera. This may have been enhanced by the fact that they were playing professionally shot demo footage on it, but it looked very good. I would wonder how the A1's LCD compares to it as well.

Last edited by Tyson Persall; May 13th, 2007 at 07:51 PM. Reason: mis typed XL as XHA1
Tyson Persall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

While the A1's LCD is only 2.8" compared to others that are 3.5" (I'm not sure what size the Sony's is) I find it to be sharp. I also like that you can magnify it, use peaking and turn it B&W, which really helps with focus.

Main thing though for me is to use an external HD monitor anyway, if possible. A 7" Marshall or similar works great for any camera. Of course I realize for handheld this isn't viable.

I also use a Hoodman to help with sun reflection. All in all though I've not had too many problems.
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #3
Major Player

the picture and the sharpness on the A1 are great, it's the correct color tones and brightness that seem to have issues. my lcd was displaying brighter and less saturated images than what was actually going to tape.
The VF seems to be spot on. It took some tweaking to synch them up.

Also, the "Magnify" option is the greatest tool EVER.

At the "prosumer" level, I have always chosen Canon over Sony.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #4
Major Player

I meant to say XH A1. Not XL
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #5
Major Player

I find it tolerable... Personally I feel it is by far the weakest part of the camera... I have found many times when I get the footage back to post it differs greatly from what I remember recording... An external monitor would be highly advisable especially if you are using something like an M2 or equivalent 35mm adapter...

VERY AWESOME camera though, just haven't been impressed with the lcd.
Doug Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #6
Regular Crew

When I went to see both camcorders @ B&H Photovideo the Canon's LCD looked fine. Did you guys use the colorbars or was this beyond what colorbars can help with?
Mike Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #7
Regular Crew

For the A1, get the Hoodman H-300. Fits perfectly and makes focusing a near non-issue. It negates the smaller size disadvantage of the A1 LCD, while actually making the higher native res of the A1 LCD markedly superior to, say, the HVX LCD.

And it's only $30 at B&H. No brainer.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Magnifier.html
Ben Hayflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #8
Major Player

about Focus with LCD

For event videography, Do you guys ever use the instant auto focus or do you manualy focus still.
Can the instant auto focus be trusted during run and gun situations? in progressive F modes?

I know with the XL2 i own, in 30p mode the auto focus is very slow and not that accurate and I have to use manual focus. IN 60i mode its better, but im always checking it.

The thing im worried about is being able to always make sure im in good focus no matter what im shooting. Of course in a controlled environment you have time to make sure... like making a film, but i do a lot of run and gun.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders