A few preset recommendations... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 14th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A few preset recommendations...

Hello,

I have a wedding that I will be shooting soon with my A1. Can you recommend a good preset for filming inside the church?

I've been using the panalook and vivid settings quite a bit for my outdoor shots.

Thanks,

Jerry
Jerry Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Try the Kodak 35mm filmstock presets, there are two, I use one, can't remember which. It provides rich, vibrant but realistic colors.
Jim Duggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have shot a few weddings with my 2 A1s now and here is what I have found. Some of the custom presets are beautiful and have great looking footage but that is all under ideal lighting. I have found some of the panalook or DVX settings are significantly darker images compared to the stock settings.

Since very few churches are lit well enough throughout I found these settings to not be very usable. If you have two A1s on tripods at the back always pointing at the alter area then those settings may work ok. For my shooting my wife is on a tripod focused on the alter all the time. My camera is mobile around the perimeter of the church and I am frequently getting family and crowd shots zoomed in which means things get dark pretty quick. Add in the already "darker" look of many of the custom presets posted here and your footage can quickly become pretty dark. I would rather shoot factory at 0db and panalook at 6db.

For my weddings I just took the stock settings, reduced the magenta bias a little bit and called it done. I also created a low light preset based on those same settings that enhanced the low light ability a little based on what I learned playing around with the camera and other presets.

If I want to tweak stuff I will just do in in the NLE for now. Now when I get an outdoor wedding I very well may use some of the created presets posted here to make the footage pop. I have found for indoor churches where the light is only sufficient that the factory settings work about as good as any.

Just my 02 cents.

Philip
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #4
Wrangler

the settings you are using, panalook and dvx, are designed specifically for outdoor lighting conditions. there's no way you should be using these for weddings...or any indoors shooting, for that matter. that's not the application for which they were designed....

that's the hazard of custom presets...

the factory presets are quite nice indoors, #8 in particular. but they do require more light in the camera than the factory setting.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I love the 'bleach bypass' preset. Gives a very moody,dark look. Shoot it on a bright day and over expose it and it looks FANTASTIC.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders