How to put Presets on SD card without Reader, YES! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 20th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #1
Major Player

How to put Presets on SD card without Reader, YES!

Since I usually am retrieving information from an SD card instead of putting info in, I do not own a card reader, i.e., I always use the device to read the card. So, to make it very simple. Go into your A1 custom preset screen and copy the first Default preset from camera to SD card. Once you do that, the camera will automatically create the "PRESET" folder. After this, simply turn your A1 dial to "Ext Control". Have it hooked to your firewire first of course, then download all the presets to your desktop. Open "My computer" and you will see "Canon Camera device" as another drive (something like that anyway). Click on this to open it. You will see a Folder....mine didn't show the name PRESET, but it was the PRESET folder, I just seen a picture of a folder. I then right click on the preset I downloaded from the desktop and COPY that file. I then right click on that folder PRESET. Choose "Paste into this folder"...and there you go..your preset is added. You CANNOT drag and drop for some reason. But if you copy and paste, it works perfectly. Did all presets within about 8 minutes. BTW, I do plan to get myself a card reader, but I didn't want to wait, it was late Friday night.
John L. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

This is exactly how Console makes access to the card. Don't you have Console's drivers installed, BTW?
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #3
Major Player

No, not at all. But I did download the English version of XH-TUNER. This may have installed a driver that allows this. But it takes about 2 seconds to download and it is free. You will not even use it to write to your card, but I suspect the driver is the reason the file can be viewed through the camera. I never thought of that. Good point. J
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #4
Major Player

I had never really had any experience writing to an SD card so this was aggravating for me when I tried to load the presets to the card. I felt it should be able to load through the camera, I was disappointed to find that by design, it cannot unless you have third party software. So, I just kept bangin around until I figured this out. I am certain there are hundreds of people who would like to know how to do it..I hope this helps them in the future. J
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:35 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Wow, I didn't know you could do that! I just learned something new, thanks for this tip John.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

any luck with this workflow on a mac?
Daan Bras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:41 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Wow, I didn't know you could do that! I just learned something new, thanks for this tip John.
This is not sarcasm at all. It is completely cool to see Chris learn something new on his own board. Not that he is above learning new stuff.....but he is usually the one educating us. So here's to new discoveries!

Now....does anyone know if this will work on the XLh1?

Peace!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:27 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

No reason why it shouldn't work with the XL H1 -- now who will be the first to confirm it?

I started this site in order to learn more about digital video. If I'm not learning, I'm not living.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:40 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
No reason why it shouldn't work with the XL H1 -- now who will be the first to confirm it?
I'm at the office and my camera is at home. So I'll give it a try tonight. Plus I'm getting close to my 1000th post so I am as giddy as a school girl.

:)
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 03:04 PM   #10
Major Player

I am glad I finally contributed something useful! Now I have to go back and post more questions about Vegas and codecs... geez
John L. Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders