Canon XH A1 & Bad visable Interlacing Lines at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 24th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon XH A1 & Bad visable Interlacing Lines

Sorry guys for the newby HDV question a head of time but why is the interlacing so visable when shooting in 60i HDV? Is this a characteristic of HDV or the camera? I don't ever remember seeing this with my XL1s. I'm currently using FCE HD for editing as my not so old G5 with FCP HD (4.5) doesn't support HDV. I plan on updating to the newest FCS soon.

Thanks for the help.
Scott Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #2
Trustee

What are you viewing your footage on?
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #3
Contributor

I haven't noticed any interlace lines, but I've only shot a little at 60i. Could it be that what you're seeing are jaggies on diagonal edges? You can get that if the sharpness is too high, which it was in mine out of the box.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #4
New Boot

To answer the viewing question, I've tried saving several different quicktime versions and viewed them on my MacBook Pro and I've also down converted to SD and burned a DVD for viewing on a plasma. I notice the horizontal lines mainly on motion when panning or trying to film a moving subject. I'm sure most of my issues will go away when I get the new version of FC Studio as I will be able to import native HDV, shoot in 24F and use a better compressor. Still open to your thoughts.
Old May 26th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #5
Wrangler

Interlacing becomes apparent in a full frame image pulled from interlaced video shot in interlaced mode when there is motion because the two fields are separated in time by 1/60th (for NTSC). The amount of interlace offset is determined by the speed of the pan/object, and its apparent sharpness is also influenced by the shutter speed as well as the image resolution.

I suspect you could make the interlace effect look worse by shooting in frame mode so the full field (both frames of the interlaced video stream) is captured at the same instant (and a normal frame grab would not show any interlace artifacts), and then capture the full frame with the wrong field order, so that the two fields in the wrong field order frame are now 1/30 apart in time. This would double the size of the interlace artifact from normal interlaced video.
Old May 26th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #6
New Boot

A-1 Interlacing Isssue Update*

Guys,

I tried hooking up my A1 directly to my ED plasma and the video looks awesome! So I guess the issue is directly related to using the Apple 60i intermediate codec in FCE HDV. Is there a way to get a nice finished piece using just FCE HDV and iDVD? Or is the only way to use a more powerful software. Again for those of you just joining, I've shot HDV 1080 60i, saved as various QT videos and the interlacing is terrible. When I output directly from the A-1's special component cable, the video looks awesome. I've also down converted to SD with the same interlacing issue.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Old June 1st, 2007, 10:38 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Scott,

Any new solutions? I'm just looking at the first footage and the jaggies are so obvious it looks terrible, this is on a 37" LCD.
Roger Beck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders