Need a good tripod for my A1 - specs inside - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 23rd, 2007, 08:35 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Gitzo 1410 legs are nice and sturdy for about $400, and the Bogen 3460 head is decent for about $300. Stay away from Bogen legs. I use this combo with the XH-A1 and it's stable enough in 20 mph winds at full zoom.
Brett Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 10:26 PM   #17
Trustee

If it really must be light and small, look at the Gitzo 2180 head. It weighs about a pound. and costs $224-249. Much better than the Manfrotto 701.

You should go somewhere where you can see the Gitzo legs, the Manfrotto legs, the Libec tripods, the Miller legs. Also, the different heads.

These all do the same thing, but they are so different from one another with different features, that they have to be seen to make a choice. I second the idea to make sure you try it with a camera of the weight you plan to use so you understand how it will control. There's a big difference between the smaller heads, the larger heads and the different types of drag and counterbalance, even in the same price category.

Also, the difference in weight and size of the tripod can only be understood in person. A Bogen monopod can weigh twice or more what a Gitzo tripod weighs, and the Gitzo will be larger and sturdier. Similarly, the way the locks are made and so forth, the same size Gitzo is much more compact than a Manfrotto.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 10:28 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I have the Miller SOLO DV Stage II legs with Bogen 516 head and I love it. The legs are incredibly fast to adjust, they're super lightweight, sturdy, and I've been very impressed with the fluidity of the 516.

Keep in mind, I usually load not only the A1, but a 35mm adapter, Nikkor lens and Marshall 7" video tap mounted on rails.
Benji Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 01:47 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Underwood View Post
Is it just me or is it amazing the price of these tripods... ?
No, you're not alone. I agree. But I guess it depends whether you're making money using your camcorder or not.

After looking into this for quite a while, I followed Bill Prior's recommendation back in April and bought the Libec LS22m (with the midspreader). I got it from site sponser Zotz Digital and I'm very very happy with it. Dealing with Brian was also very nice. Very helpful guy (he did make a good price too).
With regards to stability, I must say I'm pretty impressed about the LS22 - I just used it on the pacific coast here and it was somewhat windy (around 20mph) and the tripod was dead-quiet.
Again, I'd say it depends whether one's making money with this stuff here. If not, the LS22 is a fantastic tripod for under $500.
Best Regards,
Dino
Dino Leone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders