DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   My first trip to UTAH, ARIZONA, CALIFORNIA vith A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/95144-my-first-trip-utah-arizona-california-vith-a1.html)

Roman Nittmann May 27th, 2007 03:14 PM

My first trip to UTAH, ARIZONA, CALIFORNIA vith A1

Greetings to all here,
I finally got my new Canon A1 and next week heading to my first trip to ARIZONA,UTAH,CALIFORNIA and maybe NEW MEXICO state parks.
Where would be the best views, (shots) in those state parks or nearby?
Another words, what is” A MUST TO SEE”?
Thank you in advance for any comment or hint. I believe there is a lot of you guys in those areas and have great experience with shooting the nature beauty of America!
Roman

Steve House May 27th, 2007 03:21 PM

One caution, the Native American population is VERY protective of filming on the reservations. Don't even THINK of shooting without permission, cameras and/or tapes can be and have been confiscated. And even with a permit, when they say photography of a sacred site such as a kiva is prohibited, believe it!

Oren Arieli May 27th, 2007 07:39 PM

Places to see

I camped out cross-country when I graduated college in the early 90's. I was blown away by the beauty of Utah (and that was AFTER visiting Cali). My favorite National Parks (in order): Zion, Arches, Bryce, Canyonlands, Yosemite, Mt. Lassen/Shasta region. Personally, a big draw for me is a smaller crowd and a feeling of space. Thus, I rarely venture to these parks during high season. But as the saying goes; "when you gotta go, you gotta go". If you have to do just one hike before you leave this world, do the Narrows in Zion or Angels Peak. In the narrows, you'll need a dry bag, as the water can be waist hight. Travel light, but equipped. Make sure that you have food, water,sunscreen, pocket-knife and ideally, a walking stick that doubles as a monopod. Best of luck to you. Enjoy the beauty of nature before the developers find loopholes.

P.S. In Arizona, if you must see the Grand Canyon (I prefer Bryce, honestly), then go via the North Rim, especially in high season.

Bill Pryor May 27th, 2007 08:12 PM

Good point about the reservation, Steve. I went to New Mexico 2-3 years ago for some specific shots. A representative from the Albuquerque film commission spent an entire afternoon with us, driving us around to look for locations. We drove through a reservation, but she told us that you have to apply for permission, and they may take several weeks to OK the shoot. That was for commercial production, so I don't know if it's the same for a tourist with a hand held camera. Still, it would be best to make sure you know the rules.

Roman Nittmann May 28th, 2007 10:41 AM

Thank you guys for info! I will visit the Zion for sure and try the Narrows, it seems to be great hike. I have already visited Grand Canyon and took a hike to Havasu Falls and that was unforgettable! And yes I know about filming Indians (no way).

Barlow Elton May 29th, 2007 08:03 AM

Zion is truly awesome, as well as Bryce, but there's nothing like the narrows hike. Enjoy.:)