My first trip to UTAH, ARIZONA, CALIFORNIA vith A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 27th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #1
New Boot

My first trip to UTAH, ARIZONA, CALIFORNIA vith A1

Greetings to all here,
I finally got my new Canon A1 and next week heading to my first trip to ARIZONA,UTAH,CALIFORNIA and maybe NEW MEXICO state parks.
Where would be the best views, (shots) in those state parks or nearby?
Another words, what is” A MUST TO SEE”?
Thank you in advance for any comment or hint. I believe there is a lot of you guys in those areas and have great experience with shooting the nature beauty of America!
Roman
Roman Nittmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

One caution, the Native American population is VERY protective of filming on the reservations. Don't even THINK of shooting without permission, cameras and/or tapes can be and have been confiscated. And even with a permit, when they say photography of a sacred site such as a kiva is prohibited, believe it!
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #3
Major Player

Places to see

I camped out cross-country when I graduated college in the early 90's. I was blown away by the beauty of Utah (and that was AFTER visiting Cali). My favorite National Parks (in order): Zion, Arches, Bryce, Canyonlands, Yosemite, Mt. Lassen/Shasta region. Personally, a big draw for me is a smaller crowd and a feeling of space. Thus, I rarely venture to these parks during high season. But as the saying goes; "when you gotta go, you gotta go". If you have to do just one hike before you leave this world, do the Narrows in Zion or Angels Peak. In the narrows, you'll need a dry bag, as the water can be waist hight. Travel light, but equipped. Make sure that you have food, water,sunscreen, pocket-knife and ideally, a walking stick that doubles as a monopod. Best of luck to you. Enjoy the beauty of nature before the developers find loopholes.

P.S. In Arizona, if you must see the Grand Canyon (I prefer Bryce, honestly), then go via the North Rim, especially in high season.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #4
Contributor

Good point about the reservation, Steve. I went to New Mexico 2-3 years ago for some specific shots. A representative from the Albuquerque film commission spent an entire afternoon with us, driving us around to look for locations. We drove through a reservation, but she told us that you have to apply for permission, and they may take several weeks to OK the shoot. That was for commercial production, so I don't know if it's the same for a tourist with a hand held camera. Still, it would be best to make sure you know the rules.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #5
New Boot

Thank you guys for info! I will visit the Zion for sure and try the Narrows, it seems to be great hike. I have already visited Grand Canyon and took a hike to Havasu Falls and that was unforgettable! And yes I know about filming Indians (no way).
Roman Nittmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #6
Major Player

Zion is truly awesome, as well as Bryce, but there's nothing like the narrows hike. Enjoy.:)
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders