Commercial shot with A1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 1st, 2007, 05:18 AM   #16
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Naus View Post
wow, I'm impressed with the sfx, nice how the 'ribbon' shines through the tree, could you give any hints on how you did it?
Thanks Jeremy! I don't think I got the glow right really but basically all that's happening is that the glow is added after the trees and sky and fx are composited, and it's set to a threshold that only kicks in with the fx and not the sky, but this is before it's graded - the grade flattens it all so the difference between sky and fx isn't as obvious.
Tim Follin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:09 AM   #17
Major Player

Impressive looking clip. The colours look so vibrant. Love the look of those city shots aswell. Just curious, was it difficult to set up lighting for for the outside view of the guy in the window towards the end?
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:19 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Very nice indeed!good job.
Raul Rooma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 10:01 AM   #19
Major Player

Spectacular.... Really impressive shots... Even did the reflection of the ribbon thing in the windows... Did you just create two cylinders in 3ds max and render out the videos with an alpha layer? Or did you create those objects in After effects?
Doug Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 10:33 AM   #20
Major Player

Wow! great work! I loved the angles and variation on the shots, very nicely composited as well. Great attention to detail. The one thing I would have improved (unless it was the company standard logo) was the company font on the logo seemed a bit ordinary, like Arial or another regular use font.
Old June 1st, 2007, 03:44 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Very nice production. Very professional shoots!
I'm also curious about the ribbon comming from the tree. Did you key on a blue sky and then replaced it with another sky filmed appart from the original?

Please tell us more !
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:30 PM   #22
New Boot

Hi,

Again, really appreciate all these comments, I didn't expect so many - thank you!

Glenn - shooting from outside the building was just about waiting for the right time after sunset, fortunately we had time to wait! We just used two Kinos lighting the actor from the floor inside the office.

Doug - the ribbon effect was an object created in Max and rendered separately for each shot, then composited in AE - the windows reflection was done partly in Max (a bent plane with ray-traced reflections) and then from a freeze of the windows I created a displacement map in AE, which gave the slight difference between windows.

Nathan - totally agree, the logo text was awful, but that's the logo so we had to stick to it. We offered a re-desgin but they didn't bite!!

Gert - the original (ungraded) sky shot was deep blue, and so it was very easy to key out the tree and put the effect behind it. The blue was then desaturated in the grade (it was a bit too video!).

Thanks for all the feedback!
Old June 1st, 2007, 08:04 PM   #23
Major Player

Hey Tim,

Absolutely fantastic commercial! I love it!!!

May I ask for a little bit of details as to how you were able to export this clip using H.264 with such high quality? Did you use Adobe Media Encoder to export this clip? I'm guessing you are on a windows machine since you are using Premiere Pro. My H.264 encodes have come out absolutely horrible for the most part... very desaturated and washed out. I know there is a 'h.264 bug' of sorts that causes this "gamma-shift" on windows machines, but it seems yours is not having any problems at all.

Any details you could provide to a bit of a lost soul like me with my A1 and PP2.0 and AE7.0 would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank for any help. :)
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 01:21 AM   #24
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke Ryland View Post
Hey Tim,
I know there is a 'h.264 bug' of sorts that causes this "gamma-shift" on windows machines, but it seems yours is not having any problems at all.
Hi, I always got that gamma shift problem when I tried to export directly from AE, so I bought QTpro to try and that solved the problem - now I export from AE using PhotoJpeg at near max quality (it looks virtually uncompressed), then open it with QTpro and export h.264 with that. Also, for some bizarre reason, exporting h.264 at the same quality settings produces a much larger file when exported direct from AE, which completely negates the point of it! This was encoded at 65% quality, with no filters or adjustments.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 05:10 AM   #25
Major Player

Hey Tim, thanks for the details on your exports. I too tried purchasing QT7 Pro and have been trying that as well, however, my QT7 Pro is producing the same gamma-shift, washed out look as Adobe Encoder does. I just cannot understand what it is that I'm doing wrong. Your video at least gives me hope, since if you can do it, there must be a way for me to do it as well.

I usually export from Premiere Pro my timeline as uncompressed Quicktime, which results in a great looking video. When I open the uncompressed export in QT7Pro, it looks great, as it should, but after encoding the H.264 file, it washes out big time. Any idea on what I might be doing wrong?

And one more quick question... when you export a file for the web, do you encode it using the square (1.0) pixel aspect ratio? Or do you leave the pixel aspect ratio to the native HD anamorphic (1.333)?

Thanks again so much for your time and help. I have been so dissapointed with my exports because of this gamma-shift problem. But you are my lightray of hope.
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:05 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Link's not working....again....

:-P
Adam La Prade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 02:27 PM   #27
Major Player

me too: link not working...

ULi
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 02:47 PM   #28
Major Player

"This account has exceeded it's bandwidth quota and has been temporarily disabled."

Any chance of a link somewhere else Tim :-)
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #29
Regular Crew

no it really doesn't work....
Old June 4th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #30
New Boot

Sorry! Long story, 123-reg are idiots, don't sign up with them!

New link (new, much better, host):

http://www.greeneyefilms.com/Debt_Connect_720p_h264.mov

Deke - I'm exporting square pixels, 1280x720 for 720p, but it's probably better to export 1440x1080 anamorphic for 1080p, as exporting the full 1920x1080 is a waste of bandwidth when the image is really only 1440 wide.
Tim Follin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders