A1 with Senn EW100 G2 RF interference at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 5th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #1
Major Player

A1 with Senn EW100 G2 RF interference

I recently stopped mounting my receiver to the battery door of the A1 because of apparent RF interference. With squelch set to low on the EW100 (& mid on some occasions) & transmitter off, I'd get RF static & the RF indicator on the EW100 would light as well. Move it away from that location & it disappears. In fact the only place that emits this interference is near the battery door location. I've tried different freqs to no avail. There seems to be some shielding issues, either with the A1 or the EW100.

Does anyone using this combination velcro mount the receiver to the battery door, and if so do you get the same results as above? If not, could anyone test this by placing the EW100, turned on, squelch on low & up against the battery door?

When a transmitter (lav or plugin) is turned on though, this seems to go away... but I still suspect it was the cause of momentary dropouts in signal at times.

Any other areas around the A1 doesn't exhibit this & I've ended up using a Rycote hotshoe extender... but I always liked the balance better my previous way.

Just curious.
Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Bill... you might want to try what I do and just clip the receiver to your waist. I haven't had any problems doing that. I have a 4 ft XLR cable that I run from my waist to the camera that allows me to move around without much tether.. not to mention it takes the weight off the camera.
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #3
Contributor

I use the hotshoe clip that came with the system and mount it on the hot shoe. No problems at all there.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
I use the hotshoe clip that came with the system and mount it on the hot shoe. No problems at all there.
Bill, that's what I do now... except I use a hotshoe extender (4"). If you can find the time, try powering up both your EW100 G2 & A1 and place the EW100 (squelch on low) against the battery door. I just tried this again & noticed also it gets this RF interference at the right rear of the A1 as well, just behind the record trigger... where the jack pack on a G1 would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke Ryland View Post
Hey Bill... you might want to try what I do and just clip the receiver to your waist. I haven't had any problems doing that. I have a 4 ft XLR cable that I run from my waist to the camera that allows me to move around without much tether.. not to mention it takes the weight off the camera.
Deke, I thought about that a while back, but am already tethered as it is (power belt to run a Frezzi mini). >:-\

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders