Playing around with A1 - 24f,1/48,FCP,32mb at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 7th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #1
Tourist

Playing around with A1 - 24f,1/48,FCP,32mb

early attempts with the XH-A1. No story, just "no comment" style video.
subject is olympic pole vaulters preparing for Beijing Olympic Games.

24f,1/48,FCP,32mb

http://www.toraharris.com/video/otcwr.mov
lian juin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Shot in 24F and edited in 24F and rendered in 24F? It looks way too smooth compared to anything I have seen in 24F. It looks great, but very different as far as motion and panning as to what I get out of the XH A1. Did you use an adapter such as a Letus35 to achieve those shallow depth of field shots? How did you achieve them if not? Thanks. J
John L. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #3
Tourist

Yes, this was shot in Canon's 24F and edited in FCP 24p, on a mac book. I get jerky/stroby images sometimes when in the 24F.

Cam was right out the box with no adaptor. As far as the depth of field...I just used small f-stop, stand way back and zoom way in (tripod) Hope that helps.
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Great tip on the F stop. I am learning, the depth of field with the A1 is the most wide I have ever seen at this price. You certainly didn't get any jerking here. I wish my 24f turned out that smooth. I have to use 30fps because I am so gun shy. I am afraid to shoot something I really want and not be able to fix it later because of the jerkyness. I get similar results at 30fps. It is usually jerkyer that what you have shown in 24f. Thanks again for the tip. J
John L. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #5
Disjecta

There is a very distracting hotspot in the center of your frame. Any idea what this is from? Is it in your original footage or is this something you added in post? It doesn't appear to be something that would appear based on compression.
Old June 8th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Steve, looks to me he just added a vignette in post for a more dramatic effect (although it would probably look better with a more feathered edge). If not, then somethings up...
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #7
Tourist

you are exactly right, i added vignette effect and it was too extreme gradient especially on the whites. my computer took forever just to do that (like 5 hours) so i gave up fixing it, any tips to make it faster? its not so visible when we played it back on a tube tv screen or compressed a different way. but i will fix it at some point. thanks guys.
Old June 8th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #8
Major Player

Regarding the vignette... Did you "roll your own" vignette effect in FCP? I don't use FCP, I use Avid & there's several nice plugins that have a vignette filter.

Genarts Sapphire (my fav. allows greater control)
DFT 55mm
Boris BCC.

None of these show any gradients like seen in your clip.

Just curious,
Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #9
New Boot

Hi, was just wondering whether you used the preset zoom button for those quick zooms in and out..? As I've found the preset button to be a little hard to do smoothly. Also did you speed them up in post...? Might be a stupid question, but thought it better to ask than have my amatuer self make any assumptions... I liked the footage by the way to.
Steven Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:18 AM   #10
Regular Crew

i have still to understand why people love the 24fps effect. it just plain annoying and sometimes makes me sick when i watch it. why dont people just love smooth video? you just gotta go and spoil it. spoil is good and smooth is bad huh?

liked the video, it was very smooth.
Kalulu Ngilo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders