Buying an XHA1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 8th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Buying an XHA1

I'm new to the HDV world.

I'm getting a good deal on an XHA1. I currently use an XL-1...just wondering how the DV image quality compares between the 2. If I just shoot in DV does it look any better than the XL-1? If I shoot HDV, convert to DV for editing is the image better than the XL-1?

Just trying to get an idea how the 2 compare. The XL-1 has been a workhorse for me. I'm not sure I feel comfortable using the XHA1 for corporate clients, the little camera might scare some people...but if the image is a lot better, I gonna have to make it work.

Appreciate your thoughts.
~mike
Mike Meyerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #2
Major Player

The XH-A1 blows the XL1 completely and utterly out of the water!

Shoot and edit in HD then render as SD MPEG

I was looking back at some SD stuff the other day and the difference is just incredible.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Brown View Post
The XH-A1 blows the XL1 completely and utterly out of the water!

Shoot and edit in HD then render as SD MPEG

I was looking back at some SD stuff the other day and the difference is just incredible.

Nice...thanks. Will my XL-1 accessories carry over...like zoom controller, filters, lense adapters etc...

Any complaints about the camera?
Mike Meyerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #4
Contributor

I agree. I shot a bunch of interviews for a friend over the course of last year with his XL2. When I got my XH A1 I started using it, and he says its footage looks better. Both cameras were used shooting SD at 24p. It should be seriously better than the XL1.

Your filters will work, since the XL2 is also 72mm. I don't know about the controller.

No complaints here about the camera.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #5
Major Player

I underuse my controller in that I really only use the zoom and record buttons. Yes...on the 1000 model, these work.

Just looking at a beach wedding I shot last weekend using the Vivid preset, and it's just beautiful!

Complaints-Nothing that couldn't be put down to me getting to know the camera.

Just read through all the posts here. LOADS of good info and people finding/resolving issues that are a little ahead of you on the purchase path.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 02:57 AM   #6
Trustee

I use a Manfrotto Lanc and it works with both the Xl-1s and XH A1 - as do the batteries.
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #7
Major Player

THANKS guys...yes, I've been reading through a lot of posts on here. Sounds like a great little camera.
Mike Meyerson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders