Firestore confusion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 15th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #1
New Boot

Firestore confusion

Hi,
In my quest to ensure I get the right equipment, I have been trying to read up on Firestore and which one is right for the XH A1. From what I read there is conflicting information on some video forums ...so as this forum is the best(!), I expect I will get the right answers here :)
FS-4 seems to be compatible and recommended for Canon and the A1, but I read elsewhere that people were having some difficulties with it (file formats and/or compatibility with some NLE's I think!), in that it did not provided the same facilities as the FS-C, which was actually designed for the Canon cameras.
Is anyone able to clear this up for me?
Thanks,
Colin.
Colin McCaffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #2
Major Player

As I understand it, the FS-C is specifically designed for the Canon cameras, and I don't think the price is all that different from the FS-4 (someone correct if I'm wrong) so I'd say go for the FS-C. Equipment specifically tailored for your camera is always going to be a better bet than equipment that "theoretically" should work.
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Correct Mark....

The FS - C is the unit designed for the A1/ G1 /H1 cameras. From memory there is no price difference, here in NZ at least.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #4
New Boot

That's good enough for me ...thanks guys!
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:53 PM   #5
New Boot

Dont be arrested !

Hi Colin,

If my opinion can still be useful for you dont be arrested by the FS-C! In the future if you change your camera what will you do to your firestore? I previously owned a JVC 100E. Now I own a Canon A1. But my Firestore is the same 60Gb Pro HD with the latest 2.0 firmware. Just arrived from Brussels. 1h recorded. No clips lost. All you must be careful is never make mistakes like unplug/plug your firewire cable while in synchro mode, always turn your camera first and then your firestore, if your battery fails while recording turn off synchro mode and restart your drive before recording the same scene, check that your firewire cable is in good condition and well attached.

Cheers,
Jose
Jose Ramada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:09 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks Jose ...you make a good point about changing cameras at a later date (although I have been in the Canon family for 30 years now, so personally change is unlikely!).

My original confusion on this was to do with Firmware updates and so on. I had heard that there were issues with the earlier Firestores that wouldn't allow the Canon to work with certain formats (if my memory serves me right), so that all Canon users should go with the FS-C. I believe Firmware updates have taken care of all this, but I just sought the opinion of the group to see how they felt about this, i.e. is it wise to get a generic Firestore (in case we change camera, as you suggest), and are these compatibility issues likely to rear their head again at any time in the future, e.g. if Canon introduces another camera?

Also prompts another question ...will the FS-C operate with any other camera, or is it only Canon specific?

Two more weeks and my major investment takes place for the A1 and all the associated gizmos. I can't wait ...and I hope Singapore can meet all my requirements!

Colin.
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:04 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McCaffery View Post
Two more weeks and my major investment takes place for the A1 and all the associated gizmos. I can't wait ...and I hope Singapore can meet all my requirements!

Colin.
Hi Colin. So you're coming to Singapore soon? I'm from Scotland originally (2 of my brothers live just south of Aberdeen) and I live in Singapore now.

Do you have a supplier lined up for all the stuff you want to buy? The A1 should be quite easy to find (I bought mine from Expandore), but some accessories may not be readily available. If you're not sure about any item I might be able to help you locate a dealer for it. I don't have connections with any dealer, but I do have a few friends here that I can ask.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 12:48 AM   #8
New Boot

Thanks for the response Richard.

Yes, I come through Singapore at least 3 times a year, and usually more. I used to live in Indonesia (until my company posted me to the gulags of Siberia, but we won't go into that just now!). My wife is Indonesian and we go back to visit with our friends and family there. I always spend a few days in Singers to catch up with old friends. I will arrive there around 15th July, or earlier if I can get my work finished sooner.

One of my colleagues suggested Parisilk as being the best supplier in Singapore and at prices unmatched elsewhere. He said there is no room to negotiate but the price is always guaranteed to be cheapest there? If you have any other info that would be useful to me, I'd be most grateful ...I may even stretch that to buying you a beer ;) I have tried to email Parisilk to ask if they have what I want, but no response as yet. I intend to buy the A1, as well as (probably) a Seinnheiser mic and a Firestore FS-C if I can find one. The other 'usuals' would be a decent bag (which may also need to house my EOS 30D, lenses, (including a 400 mm Canon), flashes and other accessories ...I don't travel lightly!) and a rain cover.

Awra Best mate!

Colin.

PS originally a Weegie, but I now have a house in Cruden Bay, which my son does his best to wreck (errr, I mean 'watch') for me!
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:35 AM   #9
Trustee

Hi Colin. Well there's usually some room to negotiate, even if it's just to get a freebie thrown in. Parisilk is not really known as one of the most obvious suppliers for higher end video gear. I'd recommend you check another place or two as well if you have time. This will at least give you a reference for comparison.

I know one place in Little India that sells the FS-C, but the price may not be the best available. I'll check it out and let you know if I can find something better.

Richard

Weegie? I'll try not to hold that against you! :)
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:44 AM   #10
New Boot

Brilliant Richard ...appreciate it!
Colin McCaffery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders