BHPhoto at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 20th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

BHPhoto

I am going to be purchasing my XHA1 very soon, but I was wondering about the Extended warranty they sell. Has anyone here had to use it before and how was the experience? If not would you purchase one from elsewhere?
How are the routine Canon Maintenance jobs done? Part of extended warranty?
Sorry to ask so many questions but when it's an investment we have to care for our stuff as best as possible.

Thanks again, Saul
Saul Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Saul.

Can't comment on BHPhoto specifically 'cause don't know squat about it, but I'm pretty sure an "extended warranty" anywhere on the planet will NOT cover routine maintenance (unless it specifically does, which would be quite unusual).

As for the benefit of buying an "extended warranty" in the first place, most consumer groups here, Australia and the UK seem to come out firmly on the "what for" side because of legislation that theoretically covers consumers against equipment defects for considerably longer periods of time than the usual "12 month Manufacturers Warranty".

In short, in all these countries the 12 months limit isn't a limit in law, the seller is responsible for having defects in equipment fixed long after that 12 months has expired.

As for the law where you are, I'd check that out as I don't have a clue. Do bear in mind that most equipment defects (not all) will rear their heads in the first 12 months anyway (if they offer 12 months in the States?) so an extended warranty usually ends up being a good money spinner for the retailer because they rarely have to cough up.

By the way, I'm talking about manufacturing defects, not dropping the camera on it's head - if you want that sort of cover you'd better talk to your insurance company, 'cause that's by far the most likely cause of a visit to the camera doctor!(IMHO).

Hope this helps.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 01:21 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
I'm pretty sure an "extended warranty" anywhere on the planet will NOT cover routine maintenance (unless it specifically does, which would be quite unusual).
It is unusual then. The Mack 4-year extended warranty specifically covers "one head cleaning per year."

I don't normally buy extended warranties, but I went ahead and got the Mack for my XH A1 based on the recommendations on this forum.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi,
As a digital still camera tech, I deal with extended warranty all the time, and can say its definatly worth it! Cameras die for no reason up to 2-3 years after purchase. If quoted, can in most cases be thrown out, due to the cost of repairing, can cost more then the original purchase price. The cost of the equipment CAN drop considerably after 2-3 years, as new models are always coming out.

The extended warranty pretty much mirrors the original warranty..Should the camera fail for no fault of your own, it will be repaired at no cost to you. If the camera has a MAJOR fault (eg: main pcb and power pcb etc..which does happen) and is deemed as a warranty repair, the camera will be replaced...

Should you drop it, get it wet or sand damage (if the camera gets wet..it will most likely be deemed as uneco to repair, as no g'tee can be given, as the extent of the corrosion, if any cant be determined), it will NOT be covered by any warranty. Any servicing is done as a quote. This is how it works for us, and we are one of the biggest camera repairers in australasia.

I have the XH-A1 and did get myself a 5 year extended warranty. I also have it insured through house and contents insurance, which covers it for accidental damage, lost or stolen anywhere in the world, for extra $200 on top of the existing contents insurance...covered for business purposes aswell.
Ivan Barbarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:16 AM   #5
Wrangler

I understand that technically speaking, only the manufacturer can offer a warranty, the extended warranty is really a service agreement that may provide similar benefits. It is like insurance, in that, onthe average, a lot more money is paid than benefit received. Most of the money paid goes to cost and profit for the distribution chain, a rather small portion actually goes to paying for repairs.

That said, if you cannot afford to pay for a repair if needed, than the insurance aspect may be worth it. But if you have a lot of gear, over time you will end up paying more.

Also note that some may have exclusions for commercial use - read the fine print.

But I cannot speak the details of what B&H is offering.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders