A1 and mic for African wildlife? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 24th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #1
New Boot

A1 and mic for African wildlife?

Apologies if this sounds too simple for august members of forum, but I am new to HD if not to video. I visit Africa regularly along with small group of friends largely for game viewing. I would like to use a mic which would enable sounds of wildlife observed from 10/20 yards to be recorded better than I can at present achieve with on-camera mic, but also some of quiet sounds from my friends. On vehicle repartee is an integral part of our safari (heresy, but it is quiet) and it would be a pity to gain one and lose the other. Is there a mic which will do both, or must I use two? Kit size and weight is an issue as I am mainly a stills photographer and take rather a lot of that stuff with me.
Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Oh, and further apology if this should have been placed in sound forum
Robert Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #2
Trustee

I suggest two mics.

A shotgun and omni lavalier (pinned down with a screen or such, like the big mount for the Tram). Or a camera mounted omni of some type... depending on how you mount the shotgun.

For shotgun try something like the Audio Technica 4073a or for a longer more focused pickup the Audio Technica 4071a:
http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bi...nes%3A+Shotgun

For the shotgun I suggest a good hand mount. Look at the K-Tek hand grip, shock mount and wind-stopper:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...oam_Lined.html
K-tek has a combination shockmount windscreen that will screw onto this handle or onto a pole.

Any shockmount will screw onto this handle.

K-tek has a windscreen that will go over a mic and can be taken off while the mic stays on the shockmount.

If you are going to use a shotgun mic in the kind of situation you are talking about you need a good shockmount and an isolated way to hold the mic... otherwise mic noise can be a big problem.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders