Merlin/A1 - Initial Test at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 27th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Merlin/A1 - Initial Test

Disclaimer:
This is not intended as a display of the Merlin's full capabilities, but rather what you might expect from the Merlin "out of the box".

The footage was shot a couple of hours after recieving the Merlin. I had no prior Steadicam experience. The Merlin was configured using "cookbook" settings. I was carrying the large travel case over my shoulder. The g-platz screw wasn't properly tightened on a couple of shots.

Quality will improve considerably with operator experience and proper equipment setup.

33MB H.264 .MP4

http://www.mediafire.com/?c1finlyzwfx
Rene Roslev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Pretty smooth looking to me for 2 hours out of the box. Some great shots. Wow, lots of footage here. How long did you film? and did your arm get tired?

Also, for focus settings, do you leave it at a certain setting and stick with it for the moving shots?

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Nice stuff. I'm considering a Merlin for an upcoming shoot. Thanks for posting. BTW, was that 24f originated footage?

Thanks,
Blake
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #4
Major Player

Good stuff.

and to think you will get smoother with practice.

Nice place to film some nice sample footage too!

After this, that Merlin purchase is just about guaranteed for me now!
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for all your comments and questions. Appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Kerr View Post
Pretty smooth looking to me for 2 hours out of the box. Some great shots. Wow, lots of footage here. How long did you film? and did your arm get tired?

Also, for focus settings, do you leave it at a certain setting and stick with it for the moving shots?

Trish
I shot half an hour footage over the course of a couple of hours. My arm did get tired, but mainly when adjusting the Merlin - when you're moving it's not that bad. I have been training a couple of months with dumbbells specifically for this, ever since I decideded I wanted a Merlin - certainly helped.

95% of what I shot was using AF. That was part of the test - finding out how far I could push it. I am impressed with the speed and precision of the AF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Calhoun View Post
Nice stuff. I'm considering a Merlin for an upcoming shoot. Thanks for posting. BTW, was that 24f originated footage?

Thanks,
Blake
Everything was shot DV PAL 25f 1/50
Rene Roslev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #6
Major Player

That was awesome for such a short time of practice.
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Roslev View Post
Disclaimer:
This is not intended as a display of the Merlin's full capabilities, but rather what you might expect from the Merlin "out of the box". The footage was shot a couple of hours after recieving the Merlin. I

This footage looks wonderful.

Just to be certain, I wanted to ask if you used the arm and vest combo on this or if you you were using only the merlin and supporting it all with your arm.

Best,

Michael Blieden
Michael Blieden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #8
Major Player

Rene,

Sorry for not getting back to your earlier. I kind of lost this post after posting it :).

I'm very impressed with your results esepecially since you didn't have much prior experience. Very smooth and you seem to have got that thing well under control.

I ordered my merlin last week. I have a shoot next week. I was hoping to have it at the begining of this week but it seems the Showcase people don't have a clue about on-line orders. I heard so much about them that I placed an order on-line rather than call them. I have to call tomorrow (Monday) and see where things are at. But from the looks of it I'll only get it mid to end of the week so I'll have to pick up using the things pretty quick. I hope I'll be as good as you :).

Thanks for posting this.

I'll post my footage as soon as I'm able.

Shiv.
Shiv Kumar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders