Of ponds & turtles... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 1st, 2007, 07:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Of ponds & turtles... *now with URL (!)

Beautiful morning today, so I took a stroll with the dog around some spring-fed ponds just up the road... shot 30F, VIVIDRGB, Circ Pol filter..
Not much, I'm afraid, but the turtles antics amused me..
Odd noise is a bullfrog, I believe..
Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Access:
http://web.mac.com/rossdjones/iWeb/Movies
User: Guest
P/W: Movies
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by Ross Jones; July 2nd, 2007 at 07:35 AM. Reason: bear with me, ..I'll soon get the hang of this..
Ross Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 10:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

still dont have the URL to the access page =)
Eric Sipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:41 AM   #3
Major Player

Really nice!

The images are so clear! I want an A1 so bad I can taste it!!

Question:
I'm thinking of buying a Mac Book Pro (1st mac ever). I noticed your movie on what appears to be an Apple site? Does Apple offer "free" hosting sites thru their software or something?

Like I said, I have never owned a Mac so I have no idea on what they offer.
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Macs, etc..

Brad, thanks, and remember what you see here is compressed down from the original...
I tried out an iMac a few years ago and was instantly hooked.. Always used PCs up 'til then, as work dictated... however I found that for certain things Macs are great. Am now using Final Cut Pro - as part of Final Cut Studio suite of s/w.. also progressed to a PowerMac dual G5, and bought PowerBook & MacBookPro for the offspring (who are both now Mac fans..). As with all things computing, more RAM will help - especially with video; also graphics card becomes important if getting into HDV. I have 3.5GB RAM on the PM with a decent (at the time) graphics card.. considering switching to a Mac Pro at some stage.. Oh, and don't forget a suitably fast & capacious Firewire external drive(s) for the video storage.. (I now have a total of 2.2TB of F/W & USB staorage...) and of course a suitable display capable of showing full res HD video. Apple's 23" ACD is 1920 x 1200 and is rather nice (I have one) but I also hear good things about the Dell larger displays.
So, along with the excellent XH-A1, there's a ton of other equipment to throw money at - certainly if you're going to shoot HDV rather than SD..
Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ross Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:38 AM   #5
Major Player

Thank you Ross for taking the time to reply.

Looking at the MacBook Pro, it appears to be beefy enough for HDV workflow.

They have Intel Duo Core Processors and Nvidia 8 series moblie Video cards. they can also supprt 4 gigs memory (although I may just go with 2 gig since it's nearly $800 more for the 4 gig upgrade).

Again, thanks a lot for your reply.

Brad
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #6
New Boot

Search macrumors.com forums where you will find posts about upgrading the ram in a macbook pro for very little money and get quality components. the new 17" mbp is available with a high res screen. the 23" acd is a beautiful monitor.
if you get the .mac package you will get i believe 2gb of web space (and other features) for $99 a year.

phil
Philip Lampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #7
Regular Crew

.Mac, etc..

Yes, good point... The .Mac package integrates nicely with the iLife apps and allows you, for example, to get a website up and running with a very few clicks. You also get a number of email addresses and other useful items..
Also on the RAM issue: Apple RAM is arguably the best (tightest QA..?) but Crucial offer very good prices on all Mac memory modules..
Thoroughly recommended.
Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ross Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders