Capturing HDV and downconverting - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:59 AM   #31
Inner Circle

I shot this video in HDV format using HV20. Captured both in DV-Lock within the camera, and, HDV then downsize to DV in Premiere Pro. Check out the difference yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Capturing HDV and downconverting-hv20-dvlock2.jpg   Capturing HDV and downconverting-hv20-downsize2.jpg  

Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #32
Major Player

Down rez HDV in FCP 5.1.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
I'm using FCP, and if I drop HDV clips into a 4:3 timeline, they automatically come in in the correct aspect ratio, but letterboxed. It's quick and easy to resize them and then apply that to all the clips. I'd assume most NLEs would have something similar.
Bill

I'm also using FCP. Just getting my feet wet in HDV with an XH A1. Just tried down rezing some 60i footage using Quicktime conversion. Looked pretty awful. I'm assuming Compressor will do a better job but being unfamiliar with the program I thought I would check around and see what the best approach would be.

Can't say I've found anything yet that is clear and concise. (Any links much appreciated)

Are you saying that you simply drop the hdv footage into a 4:3 timeline, render, and presto you've got letterboxed 16:9 SD or is there more to it than that, as in what process of resizing do you apply as you refer to above.

Thanks for any help

Jase
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #33
Contributor

You drop it into a 4:3 timeline and it sizes to the correct aspect ratio, but you have to then use the motion tab to blow it up and move around to resize properly to fill the screen. I just did that one time to see what would happen; usually I go the other way, from SD to HDV. I'll check it out again and be more precise in the procedure but can't do that for a day or so. For exports, I export as a regular QT, then go from that to whatever is needed in Compressor or Sorensen 3.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #34
Major Player

Thanks Bill.

I'll look forward to hearing more. I initially tried exporting to Quicktime (thinking I wouldn't need to go to Compressor or Sorensen) and that didn't seem to work, always got a vertically stretched image.

I'm going to try compressor today, but wondering why you first go to Quicktime export and then Compressor when it seems you can go directly to it.

Another question. When I send my this HDV footage converted to letterboxed 4:3, out to my 4:3 TV the size etc looks correct, just letterboxed. I also have an older Sony broadcast monitor that is aspect ratio switchable. If I have it on 4:3, it looks correct. If I set it to 16:9 it looks squashed. This makes sense, I think?

My question. When I burn a DVD from this timeline it should look correct on on a 4:3 TV. But will a 16:9 TV handle it correctly or treat it as my switchable monitor. I guess it comes down to such a TV being able to sense the aspect ratio of the DVD and adjust itself accordingly. Do they do that?

Thanks
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #35
Contributor

I went through the same thing with Compresson. You need to make the regular QT first. It's very good--when you see it you'll like it, especially if you shot 24p, no deinterlace artifacts; it'll be an HD type QT and will spread across both your monitors (go up and click "fill screen" to view it smaller on one monitor).

Re: Letterboxed and squished. Yeah, if you make a 4:3 letterbox version, it will look stretched on a 16:9 TV. What you do is when you author your DVD, just do a normal 16:9 version, making sure the settings are correct (I'm not sure what they are off the top of my head) and the DVD player will detect whether it's hooked to a 4:3 or 16:9 TV and will automatically output letterboxed if it's a 4:3 TV. Although, there are some video projectors and some older DVD players, I understand, that have to be set for that. So far it's worked right for me; maybe somebody else can shed some more light on that.
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #36
Major Player

If the final output is to DVD you don't have to downconvert. All you have to do is create an SD DVD. That way you can see it in letterbox on 4:3 tvs and full screen on 16:9 tvs.
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #37
Contributor

This is true--once you've exported the full res QT, DVD Studio pro will import it and convert it to the m2t file automatically, but I think you do have to have the setting right for wide screen and all.
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #38
Major Player

All you have to do is setup your track to either Pan & Scan for a side trimmed full 4:3 or letterbox for the black top & bottom lines.
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #39
Contributor

Yeah, that's the setting I was referring to--couldn't think of it offhand. I leave it in letterbox.
Old August 17th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #40
New Boot

Shoot HD and Capture in SD

I own New Tek's VT 4 and do not yet have the VT5 ungrade with Speed Edit.

Question. If I shoot in HD how do I down convert correctly to SD 4:3 (no letterbox) Is that possible? Basically, I heard from the WEVA convention that I should never shoot in SD with my HD camera. But my problem is, most of my clients don't want to watch their video on a normal SD TV with black bars on the top and bottom.

Is it possible to shoot in HD and down convert to SD and burn a DVD without the black bars?
Amie Spiridigliozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #41
New Boot

HD to SD

I own New Tek's VT 4 and do not yet have the VT5 ungrade with Speed Edit.

Question. If I shoot in HD how do I down convert correctly to SD 4:3 (no letterbox) Is that possible? Basically, I heard from the WEVA convention that I should never shoot in SD with my HD camera. But my problem is, most of my clients don't want to watch their video on a normal SD TV with black bars on the top and bottom.

Is it possible to shoot in HD and down convert to SD and burn a DVD without the black bars?
Amie Spiridigliozzi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders