iMovie import problem, urgent help needed! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 9th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

iMovie import problem, urgent help needed!

I'm importing footage from my A1 into imovie. At one point the imported footage is slowed down even though it is playing normally on the camera. I have tried dozens of times but keep getting the same problem..... HELP!!!
Old July 9th, 2007, 03:58 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Have you tried capturing with different software?
Reese Leysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 04:24 AM   #3
Major Player

did you switch from SP to LP when you where recording the footage?
David Chia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:53 AM   #4
Major Player

Did you check your imported footage, or where you just looking at the imovie import screen. This happened to me but the imported footage when played back was OK
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #5
Major Player

I have seen a similar thing when using Final Cut express. Its when it is unable to encode the video into their format fast enough during capture. I have 1GB of RAM on an Intel Macbook Pro and I have to do a fresh boot and have nothing else running to caputre more than a few minutes.
Old July 9th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Kay View Post
I'm importing footage from my A1 into imovie. At one point the imported footage is slowed down even though it is playing normally on the camera. I have tried dozens of times but keep getting the same problem..... HELP!!!
What kind of Mac do you have?

Depending on the speed of your Macintosh you may not be able to capture HDV in "real time" ---but not to worry, once the footage is on your Mac, iMovie will then convert it to the Apple Intermediate Codec,[which is what iMovie does with HD sources] and you should then be able to start working.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm also trying to import my footage into imovie hd. But I think I am having more of a basic problem.
I connect the A1 to the camera, imovie recognizes it (some of the time). The screen on the imovie is blue saying "camera connected", yet when I play or import footage, the image does not come up on imovie. The image is playing fine on my A1, so I'm at an utter loss.
Nagisa Kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #8
Regular Crew

make sure that you set the settings of your iMovie project correct.
I get the bluescreen error when my iMovie project settings are not the same as the camera settings. Once they are aligned the import works without a problem.
Jeremy Naus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 03:24 AM   #9
Regular Crew

What frame rate are you shooting at? If it's 60i or 30F it should be fine, but it won't work with 24F. The audio is all out of wack and it doesn't capture at 100%. Other than that I don't know.
Jerrod Cordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #10
Regular Crew

the settings on imovie are the same as my camera (lest i think so). last night when i tried to connect it, the computer recognized it once or twice but now it fails every time. and i shot a 30f so shouldn't be a problem. i just got the firewire (pure av by belkin) so i dont think its the wire...
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #11
New Boot

Do you have anything else but the camera connected to the FW bus?
Sven
Sven Ohrvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #12
Regular Crew

nope, i just have the camcorder. i called canon tech support today and we tried for like an hour but with no avail. should i send it in for repair? (though i've no idea what they'll do to it)
Old July 13th, 2007, 02:04 AM   #13
Regular Crew

stupid suggestion: on which HD are you trying to save?
Yesterday I was importing a 50i on an external HD and the clip didn't load correctly. This was due to the fact that the HD in question was formatted for OSX and Windows access => FAT. This means that long clips at one time become bigger than the filesize limit of FAT.
When I imported the clip to my OSX internal disk I had no problem.
Jeremy Naus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders