Recieved my cam today! Oh Boy... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 9th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Recieved my cam today! Oh Boy...

Well thanks to Scott at Texas Tapeworks I now have everything I need. The free carrying case is a big plus, I highly recommend their service also.

Anyway, here is my first fun little problem, my stinkin cpu won't recognize my cam.... here are my cpu specs: Windows XP, 2.60Ghz, 1.25 GB. I'm also using Vegas 5.0. Am I in dreamland here, thinking I can at least capture some footage? I am using a firewire connection, and it recognizes my sony cam, just not the XH. Any ideas would be great, and I am going to have to upgrade the cpu next.....

thanks, Tony
Tony Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Can't pass this chance up............

Somebody else from Dunedin - yeay!

Hi Tony.....

I'm not familiar with Vegas so can't help much with that, how are you trying to connect? DV or HDV?

You may want to dive over to the Vegas forum and have a rummage around there, bound to be someone has/ had the same problem.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Chris, how about I let you visit my home in Dunedin FL. and I can visit your place in New Zealand....lol. Always wanted to visit there, have seen some amazing waves that way! As far as the vegas, I think I'm going to download the trial of Vegas 7, we'll see what happens i guess....cheers, TC
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Tomorrow OK with you?

Currently - 2 degrees C, grey, damp and windy. And that's the good bits!

Always fancied trying out Florida. Oh for some sunshine that isn't liquid, still, guess you don't get too many Sea Lions and Fur seals on yer beaches, tho' the bikini clad variety would make a nice change..........

CS

PS. Dunedin rain = Liquid Sunshine (we get lots).
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I use Vegas 7, and it recognizes my A1.
Buddy
Buddy Frazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 07:06 AM   #6
Regular Crew

It's not your CPU

I capture HDV footage on a CPU with lower specs than yours. My 2.2 GHz, 1.0 MB, XP Pro CPU has no trouble running HDVsplit to transfer my tapes to .m2t files. It cannot capture *and* display at the same time but I can live with it until the next computer comes along.
Old July 10th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #7
Major Player

Tony,
Make sure the A1 is plugged into the firewire and turned on to VCR play before starting your editing app.
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #8
Major Player

Are you sure Vegas 5 can recognize HDV? Try recording in DV and see if it will recognize it then.
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I use vegas and I'm pretty sure that that only 6d and 7 can read HDV files. If you want to capture with 5 you have to downconvert to dv nothing below 6c can capture dv and 7e does the best job with hdv. I captured with a 2.53g sony vaio in the past, so that shouldn't be the problem.

note: letters behind the numbers correspond to updated versions.

edit: hdv ability was added in 5d update of vegas. If you have 5c or lower you may not be able to capture hdv. You can go to the site and update to 5d if you haven't. However, version 7e still does it the best.

link: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...p1.asp?catid=2
Paul Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #10
Regular Crew

thanks for the replies, I downloaded the trial of Vegas 7, and it works great!
Tony
Old July 10th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Coleman View Post
Well thanks to Scott at Texas Tapeworks I now have everything I need. The free carrying case is a big plus, I highly recommend their service also.

Second that... Good Prices+Good Service..

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders