48 Hour Film shot on XH-A1 & HV20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 10th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #1
Major Player

48 Hour Film shot on XH-A1 & HV20

I just finished putting together a site for our entry in the 2007 San Francisco 48 Hour Film Project:

http://www.urgentcare-48hourfilm.com

We shot primarily on my XHA1 and used an HV20 for our second unit - most of the traveling ambulance shots. Although we shot in HD we downconverted in camera and edited anamorphic SD for time reasons. I knew we wouldn't have time to render/conform HDV - considering we delivered the finished video less than 20 minutes before the deadline I think it was a wise choice, although I'm looking forward to recapturing in hd and doing a proper color correction as well.

The current version has some limited color correction applied but is pretty close to what we shot. This is only my second narrative piece shot on the XHA1, and considering the limited time we had for setups and lighting I'm pretty happy with the images I'm getting out of it.
Evan Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hey Evan, nice job.

We were entered in same competition, shot with the HV20 with a Letus. Nothing high quality posted yet, but director did upload it to You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s3hDShqe18

Our genre was the dreaded Holiday Movie...How'd you do in audience choice?
Old July 11th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #3
Major Player

Nice film, a lot of setups for such a short time period! Is the vignetting an effect you applied or is it from the Letus?

We didn't win the audience choice, we felt we had a good chance but there was one really funny film we though might beat us and sure enough they did - 'Coaches Day' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6qh-_pbJN8). Either way, the audience reaction to ours was great so we were happy with it overall.
Old July 11th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #4
Major Player

Ha Ha...never expected that ending....great job....especially for it being done in 48hours with that many actors....different locations and props being used. "Coaches Day" was good....but I liked "Urgent Care" much better.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. Thompson View Post
Ha Ha...never expected that ending....great job....
Thanks, glad you liked it - did you stay for the credits? There's one more shot at the very end...

Quote:
especially for it being done in 48hours with that many actors....different locations and props being used.
It wasn't too bad actually, we had 10 people on the crew (not counting actors). So basically one team went ahead to prep the next location while we shot at the current one, and our 'second unit' did the traveling ambulance shots while we shot the kitchen scenes. We did end up shooting 3 of the scenes at night though with lights outside the windows to try to make it look like day.
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Donn View Post
Thanks, glad you liked it - did you stay for the credits? There's one more shot at the very end....
Ha...yes....I didn't want to give it away....but the actor looked like he was getting into it....lol

I could tell they had fun making that scene.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Whooooooooo, you just gave an idea for a new biz.
Hookers on wheels.
Wait, I can see the feature starting to form now.

Darrell
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES
Old July 28th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #8
Major Player

Just wanted to say congratulations to Chris on his film's (linked in second post above) nomination and prize for Best Directing!

"Urgent Care" unfortunately didn't get nominated for anything in the 48 Hour Film project itself, but we just found out our team was selected as one of the entrants in the Visa invitational which ran concurrently with the main competition. This means we get to do it all again in September in a national competition with 10 teams each from SF, NY and LA.

We had a great time doing this - I highly recommend it to anyone looking for something to challenge your filmmaking skills. I decided we couldn't wait until September, so I signed the team up for the San Jose competition which is in 3 weeks (I haven't told them yet!). Looks like my A1 will be getting a workout in the next couple months...
Old August 17th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #9
Major Player

Another 48 hours...

Last weekend we completed our second 48 Hour Film Project, this time for the San Jose, CA competition. Once again we shot with my XHA1 as the primary camera and used an HV20 for the second unit stuff - basically all of the narrative parts are the A1 while the testimonial/dog videos are HV20:

http://doggiestyle-48hourfilm.com/

We'll be doing it all again Sept 7-9 for the Visa invitational - I need to do some experimentation before then to come up with a better preset to shoot these with. I've been shooting with a preset that is very flat & compressed in order to give me more options for color correction in post - the problem is there just isn't time in these competitions to really do a lot of cc work. If you watch the movie you'll see some shots (just before & during the telephone scene) where I screwed up the cc because I was coming down to the wire and had to get the video out the door. I'm also thinking of picking up colorista before the next one - I've been using the fcp 3-way cc for these and I keep running into exactly the problems colorista was designed to address.
Evan Donn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders