Sony hc-7 and the Canon XH A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 12th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #1
New Boot

Sony hc-7 and the Canon XH A1

I hope i am posting in the right location (I think I am). My concern is this;

I am wanting to get a secondary camera for my XH A1, but can't afford another XH A1 rightnow. I am looking at the Hc-7 and the Canon HC 20. I like the Hc-7 better (for my needs) than the Canon HC-20, the only problem is i have a canon XH A1. I am concnerned the color and resolution, etc will not line up in post production, that is without lots of headache.

Do you think i am better going with the Canon Hc-20 for that reason? What are the pro's and con's of staying with the canon model versus the sony when the Canon XH A1 is my primary cam? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your unbias responses!
Robyne Hunwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #2
Major Player

robyne,

both cameras seem to offer nice pictures and very similar auto/manual controls. manually controlling exposure on the hv20 is a bit of a PITA, but the level of control looks to be very similar on the sony. can you elaborate on why you think the hc7 would fit your needs better? without understanding your particular needs, i would be inclined to stay within the canon family for a b-camera. for one thing, only canon hd cameras can play back the xha1's 24f. also, colors would probably be easier to match between between the two. the hc7 looks like it has some interesting features, like that 3-second to 12-second slowmo thing, but the hv20 has 24p, it's claim to fame.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 07:13 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I too would suggest you stay with the Canon family. Maybe the batteries and charger will be interchangeable? There is much more chance that your footage will cut together better if it's Canon to Canon.

The XH-A1 has 1"/3 CCDs and the HC-7 also uses a 1"/3 CMOS. Not sure about the HC-20, but if it's a 1"4 chipped model that would mark it down in my book for DoF reasons.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #4
New Boot

Sony hc-7 and the Canon XH A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Cho View Post
robyne,

both cameras seem to offer nice pictures and very similar auto/manual controls. manually controlling exposure on the hv20 is a bit of a PITA, but the level of control looks to be very similar on the sony. can you elaborate on why you think the hc7 would fit your needs better? without understanding your particular needs, i would be inclined to stay within the canon family for a b-camera. for one thing, only canon hd cameras can play back the xha1's 24f. also, colors would probably be easier to match between between the two. the hc7 looks like it has some interesting features, like that 3-second to 12-second slowmo thing, but the hv20 has 24p, it's claim to fame.
Henry my exact thoughts on the two camera's as well. Rarely do i shoot in 24p as I mainly shoot in 30 and/or 60i frame rate. It is however, good to know and have just in case i do choose to shoot in 24p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
I too would suggest you stay with the Canon family. Maybe the batteries and charger will be interchangeable? There is much more chance that your footage will cut together better if it's Canon to Canon.

The XH-A1 has 1"/3 CCDs and the HC-7 also uses a 1"/3 CMOS. Not sure about the HC-20, but if it's a 1"4 chipped model that would mark it down in my book for DoF reasons.

tom.
Tom, believe it or not, i hadn't really thought about the interchangeable products... great point. Not having much experience in multi cam shots I am not sure how DoF would play out with the two different sizes of chips. all the more reason on whether i should settle for the hv 20.

I wonder if I should even be looking at the hv 20 and should hold out for perhaps the pd 170. The main thing is i don't want a PITA system, as I don't want to burn out in post production. Do you guys think the pd 170 or antoher camera would be a better alternative to the hv 20 (match color specs etc.) or do you think the hv 20 would be sufficient and easy enough in post production?

IT sure would be nice if the hv 20 would work.. but im beginning to even wonder. TIA
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #5
Major Player

the pd170 is a standard def camera. is low light performance what you're looking for in the b-cam?

some info on the hv20: the hv20 is a one chip, 1/2.7" cmos sensor camera. any difference in DOF between the hc7 and hv20 would be nominal. unfortunately, batteries are not interchangeable between the hv20 and xha1. hv20 and xha1 intercut pretty well, and, under optimal conditions, footage from the hv20 comes pretty close to the xha1 in resolution and, with a little tweaking, color. unfortunately, relative to the xha1, the hv20 picture falls apart a bit in low light, and i can't tell you if the sony is better in this regard.
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I agree with Henry. The PD170, mighty fine camera that it is, is now from a different planet. It's SD and 4:3 (though the PAL one does a passable 16:9 at a pinch). So it really isn't a camera you should be considering in my view. Oh, but it has quite magical powers of observation in the gloom, though.

tom.
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Cho View Post
the pd170 is a standard def camera. is low light performance what you're looking for in the b-cam?

some info on the hv20: the hv20 is a one chip, 1/2.7" cmos sensor camera. any difference in DOF between the hc7 and hv20 would be nominal. unfortunately, batteries are not interchangeable between the hv20 and xha1. hv20 and xha1 intercut pretty well, and, under optimal conditions, footage from the hv20 comes pretty close to the xha1 in resolution and, with a little tweaking, color. unfortunately, relative to the xha1, the hv20 picture falls apart a bit in low light, and i can't tell you if the sony is better in this regard.
As far as the low light; its not an issue as i do indoor shooting and like to have optimal lighting, etc.

The points you make about the two cameras (hc-7 and HV 20) are great valid points. All the more reason for this question. I would be using the b camera for close ups so i could always try to set more lighting on the close up subjects... hmmm then were getting into a pita situation.

I don't know what to do? In your opinion, (to protect myself from being confronted with a pita situation) do you think its best to wait and get another XH A1? If I found a way to make one of these smaller cameras work (at the expense of the a1) I could get at least 2 smaller cams. Should i even be thinking like this.. sure would be nice to have 3 angle shots!! TIA
Old July 12th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #8
Major Player

robyne,

far be it from me to tell you "this is the camera to get!!!", but if these are, indeed, the conditions you're looking for in your b-cam:

1) interoperability with the xh-a1
2) image quality on par with (or close enough to) xh-a1
3) nice images from well-lit environments
4) costs around $1000

today, there is unequivocally only one choice. the hv20. nothing else will meet the conditions above better.
Old July 12th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Ideally you'd aim straight for two identical cameras. Then if you had to run for your backup cam for any reason you'll be instantly at home as regards menus, shutter speed settings, assign buttons and so on.

If you have to flip between a Canon and a Sony in the XH class, I'm betting it won't be long before you're cursing that you bought along the wrong charger, LANC controller or polarising filter.

tom.
Old July 13th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #10
New Boot

Thanks Henry... Thanks Tom... I feel like I am on the right track now!! ( :
Robyne Hunwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders