HELP! Aperture Ring not working! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 14th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #1
New Boot

HELP! Aperture Ring not working!

Unpacked my XH-A today for a shoot, and the aperture ring would no longer function. I reversed the direction under the custom function menu, and spinning the ring caused the f-stop to jog between 2.0 and 2.2 - always finishing at 2.0. Is this a software or hardware issue? Should I reset the camera? Unfortunately, Canon support is not open on the weekend.

Any advice would be appreciated.
David W. Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #2
Contributor

You're not on auto iris are you?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Not enough information in the original post... there is no functionality to the iris ring when shooting in A, Tv, Spotlight, Night Shot or Green Box recording modes.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #4
Major Player

if you still can't get your iris ring working in full manual mode, the camera will need to be serviced. i had this issue recently, where both the iris and shutter speed dial stopped working. display showed the lens locked at f1.0 (??) and a shutter speed of 1/5000 (or something insane like that). service claimed a connection to the lens was bad and the camera had to be sent to the factory. got the fixed camera back in about 7 business days.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #5
Major Player

David, how far are you zoomed in?
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks to Everyone

This problem appears only, of course, in full manual and aperture priority modes.

Matthew, the locked f-stop varies with the focus length - from 2.0 to 2.4, and is not adjustable at any zoom.

Bill, by 'auto-iris', do you mean one of the recording modes Chris listed? I can't find a reference to any auto-iris menu option in the manual.

Henry, I suspect my camera will also need service. I tried both a software and hardware reset of the camera, with no effect.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?
David W. Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #7
Contributor

Yeah, I should have said auto modes. Sounds like you may have a problem if it does it in manual.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 02:44 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Lewis View Post
This problem appears only, of course, in full manual and aperture priority modes.

Matthew, the locked f-stop varies with the focus length - from 2.0 to 2.4, and is not adjustable at any zoom.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?
David, several people on this forum, including myself, have had this very same issue. Mine had it when it was brand new, after a couple of days. Send it back, you should get a new camera.

Best,
Dino
Dino Leone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 01:15 PM   #9
New Boot

Back from factory service!!

My XH-A was received by Canon Factory Service (Irvine) on the 27th, I had it back in my hands on the 31st. Everything seems to be in order, and their prompt repair means I don't have to find a loaner camera for my wedding this weekend. Yay!

Thanks again to everyone for their input.
David W. Lewis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders