Just Ordered My A1... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 17th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Just Ordered My A1...

...about 3 minutes ago. Should be here tomorrow.

I am a long time DVX100 user and finally took the plunge into HD. it feels good!

The next step is to figure out what I am going to do about monitoring. For now I will try and focus using the LCD and the built in B/W switch, magnification, etc. And I will continue to use my trusty old JVC TM910SU monitor for framing.
Tim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Congrats man, you'll LOVE the camera, I promise.

I used the DVX for 3 years until buying my A1 a couple weeks ago. Best bang for the buck, and incredible images. Once you open the camera, learn how to upload the custom presets. The out-of-box image you get is bland, but after the VIVIDRGB preset, it shines.

In terms of focusing, it's not as bad as you think. I do a lot of run and gun shooting and I've been practicing with the focusing on the LCD. I can get into focus majority of the time using peaking alone. But magn helps of course.

Have fun :)
Lloyd Choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #3
Contributor

I don't use the LCD much when shooting, but I did find that it is sharp enough so you can use it for focusing if you're careful.

First thing to do when you get your camera is turn off all the auto stuff. And if you shoot 24F, make sure you change the shutter to 1/48. It wants to default to 1/24. And, speaking of focusing, go into the custom functionsettings and change the focus ring from fast to slow--otherwise it'll drive you nuts.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Tim-
Congratulations. You're gonna love it.
For focusing I've found - as you said - using the peaking and programming one of the custom keys for b&w works well, especially when combined with the Hoodman 300 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...agnifier.html), which gives you magnification as well.

Best of luck and enjoy.
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #5
Major Player

quick question....what does B+W do for focusing?
Old July 18th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Quattrini View Post
it's supposed to give a better chance of evaluating the scene... for my eye it doesnt make any difference
Daniel Raebiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #7
New Boot

Hey Tim,

I have had mine for a couple of weeks now and this camera rocks! Using the Vivid RGB and AVE Film settings bring out the some wonderful color and contrasts. Happy shooting!
Damon Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Just a matter of personal preference. I find I'm less distracted by the colors and can focus on the framing and focusing, while keeping an eye on contrast.
Old July 18th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I received my shipment this morning. Very cool.

I shot a little footage around the house - practicing focusing, etc. The peak and magnification functions really do help. And the image looks really nice on my Dell 24" monitor.

Some questions:
1. How do you get the presets to the memory card? Do I need a card reader/writer? Or will the card become available when I connect the cam to the pc?

2. Am I asking for trouble if I use my old JVC SD monitor for framing and use the peak, mag and B/W functions to focus? I will eventually get an HD monitor but not possible right now.

3. I got a little garbage in some of my shots today. It seems like a good idea to clean the heads just in case anything happened during packaging, etc. Any magic formula for cleaning the heads on this thing? Or can I use my simple little head cleaning cartridge I use on my DVX?
Tim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Miller View Post
Some questions:
1. How do you get the presets to the memory card? Do I need a card reader/writer? Or will the card become available when I connect the cam to the pc?
You need a card-reader of some sort yes, I used my Nikon D80.. :p I have had no luck in getting the computer to see the memorycard while in the Canon, so I'm leaning towards an external reader. Those are pretty cheap though, I guess I'll need one.
Henrik Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #11
New Boot

Its also not a bad idea to enter the settings in yourself. Its a great way to get comfortable with the menus...
Damon Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
peaking really pops in b&w. and the nice thing about this function on the xha1 is you can flip back and forth between color and b&w/peaking with the single push of a button.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders