Looking for the Best way to get the A1 Picture to an external 7" or so monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 18th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Looking for the Best way to get the A1 Picture to an external 7" or so monitor

Hey folks,

i've googled quite a bit but I'm stuck with a few questions:

The Video 2 BNC Output - it's basically a ordinary cinch Video signal with just another connector that won't be any better than the cinch output i get via the video1 output, right?

The Composite Output - can it be put on a D-sub VGA Connector without any transformation that requires a powered converter?

I've seen 7 inch TFTs (for car audio^^) with resolutions up to 800x480 with a VGA connector and from my perspective converting the YUV to VGA would be the best result, right?

Thanks for any help :)
-Daniel
Daniel Raebiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Component HD output would be the best if the monitor will take the signal.

Otherwise both the BNC and the A/V out are simply composite. Of course this is the way folks have monitored video camera signals for years before HD (and a lot still do it this way).

Really just depends on your monitor. BTW, a lot of the monitors made for car A/V systems (using a VGA converter) don't work very well IMHO
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks for the info :)

why would there be problems with a VGA converter Cable? The TFT i'm looking into supports Resolutions up to 1600x1200 which should be fine for the 1440x1080, right? :)
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I didn't mean there'd be a problem with the VGA per se (although I'm not 100% sure). My problem was the quality of the monitor was not good. Very soft image. Only could really use it for color, and even that was not that good.

I've since been looking at a Marshall or similar one. You've really got to spend some $$$ for a crisp looking LCD I think.
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Calhoun View Post
I didn't mean there'd be a problem with the VGA per se (although I'm not 100% sure). My problem was the quality of the monitor was not good. Very soft image. Only could really use it for color, and even that was not that good.

I've since been looking at a Marshall or similar one. You've really got to spend some $$$ for a crisp looking LCD I think.
hm well i've been using the MM400 from cartft.com for about 3 years now in my car with 1024x768 resolution (native 800x480) and it's a brilliant image. the only thing that could be better is the brightnes.

i've got me YUV -> VGA cable today but was unable to get any picture out of the A1 via this constellation. neither my PC monitor, the MM400 or my full-hd TV . Any suggestions on this? i thought YUV can be transformed to VGA by simply using the right cable...
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Daniel............

Erm, I'm a little bit confused about this VGA cable.

Why use a VGA connector if any of these screens have plug connectors for Component?

My HD TV will accept a VGA O/P from a pc BUT only at some pretty low res - if I want full HD I need to use either HDMI or Component.

My Dell 2407 and my Sony 46" 1080 screens both see the Component O/P from the A1 as 1920 X 1080.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Raebiger View Post
hm well i've been using the MM400 from cartft.com for about 3 years now in my car with 1024x768 resolution (native 800x480) and it's a brilliant image. the only thing that could be better is the brightnes.

i've got me YUV -> VGA cable today but was unable to get any picture out of the A1 via this constellation. neither my PC monitor, the MM400 or my full-hd TV . Any suggestions on this? i thought YUV can be transformed to VGA by simply using the right cable...
Hi Daniel. VGA connectors carry an RGB signal with separate H and V sync signals, so 5 wires are needed for the video signal. The component output from the A1 is YUV with the sync pulses embedded in the Y signal. Only 3 wires total. You can get YUV-VGA converters, but it's more than just an adapter cable.

Take a look at this to get the idea:

http://www.js-technology.com/product...products_id=52

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #8
Regular Crew

thanks for the info - what's the purpose of the YUV-> VGA cable then? they've even marked the connectors with the appropriate colors and stuff...

http://www.al-kabelshop.de/shop/bild...RCA%2D0025.jpg

@Chris Soucy
I'm trying to use a VGA Connector as it provides much more quality than the 1-cinched output. especially in terms of resolution :)

any 7" TFTs with YUV Connectors onboard?
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I suppose what I was trying to say (in my own inimatable roundabout way) was that all the 7" lcd's I've ever seen (but I'm sure there's many I haven't seen) will only accept VGA 800 X 480 max on their VGA connectors - not 1920 X 1080.

Ditto my HD TV will only accept 1360 X 768 max on the VGA connector - not 1920 X 1080, which is what is coming off the A1's Component O/P.

Hence my confusion about why, exactly, you were trying to cram 1920 X 1080 Component down a VGA connector.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
I suppose what I was trying to say (in my own inimatable roundabout way) was that all the 7" lcd's I've ever seen (but I'm sure there's many I haven't seen) will only accept VGA 800 X 480 max on their VGA connectors - not 1920 X 1080.

Ditto my HD TV will only accept 1360 X 768 max on the VGA connector - not 1920 X 1080, which is what is coming off the A1's Component O/P.

Hence my confusion about why, exactly, you were trying to cram 1920 X 1080 Component down a VGA connector.

CS
hm i thought that the A1 does 1440x1080? I've found a 7" VGA that gives at a native resolution of 800x480 VGA mode Support for up to 1600x1200. The reason why i'm trying to use VGA has quality issues ;)
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
hm i thought that the A1 does 1440x1080?
Recording to tape it's 1440 x 1080 anamorphic. Output over analog component video connection is 1920 x 1080 square (in other words, a function of the HDTV display that it's connected to). Nothing to be concerned about.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:19 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
thanks for the info - what's the purpose of the YUV-> VGA cable then? they've even marked the connectors with the appropriate colors and stuff...
Certain projectors and TV's will accept a YUV signal on their HD15 port. Remember VGA is the signal type, not the connector (although that naming convention has fallen into common use, like Hoovers etc...)
Gregg Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bond View Post
Certain projectors and TV's will accept a YUV signal on their HD15 port. Remember VGA is the signal type, not the connector (although that naming convention has fallen into common use, like Hoovers etc...)
ah that's obvious :) thanks
Old July 21st, 2007, 06:31 PM   #14
Regular Crew

You need a Mayflash YUV to VGA converter. it works with 1080p. The 1080i version doesn't work. Unfortunately these seem to be backordered at most e-shops for the past few months.

http://www.mayflash.com/vgabox/vga001/vga001.htm

so far BNC to composite adapter is OK for now, and the A1 Magnification button works on EXT monitor but Peaking does not.
James R. Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 06:54 PM   #15
Regular Crew

neat! thanks. does this require power supply?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders