Manual focus range - 0.1 to inf in 5 degrees? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 20th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Manual focus range - 0.1 to inf in 5 degrees?

I wonder if I have to live with this -
The manual focus on my XH-A1 goes from 0.1meters to infinity in a small fraction of a turn, maybe 5 degrees. This makes if impossible to use - the smallest movement I can make with it (less than a degree) sends the focus three or four times as far.

I have been using auto-fucus, and thinking I was just not good at manual focusing, but after testing I think this has to be a defect. Any opinions? I truly dread sending this wonderful camera away.

GRF
Glenn French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #2
Major Player

You have to set the manual focus to slow in the settings.
Old July 20th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

This is on the slow setting. I've been testing more and it goes from 1 meter to infinity in half of one ridge on the focus ring. I am on hold with Canon again now, so far I've been told there is nothing they can do.
Old July 20th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Sort of solved it - the extreme sensetivity was at the widest angle - zooming in makes it somewhat easier. I still wish it was less sensitive but I can live with this.

Awesome camera.
Old July 20th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #5
Contributor

Yeah, that weirded me out a bit too. I guess they assume you're going to zoom in and focus, which you do...but if you want to then zoom back to wide and make a slight adjustment, that's difficult to do, and it's a bit of a problem sometimes. Makes it really difficult to shift focus on the fly.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders