Shooting Prof.Live Music Video.. Settings HELP! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:24 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon McGuffin View Post
Michael,

Tried to email you via the system but it wouldn't let me... When/Where is your event? I see you are not far from me. I also own/operate a Canon A1 and might be of some help to your production..

Jon
Thanks for the offer.. I think were fairly we'll covered with operators, but I might just take you up on it anyway, as an additional benifit. The event is not this wed but the next in Fullerton. Here's my email - michael@visualmasterpiece.com I can give you more details then and see if it would be worth while. -thanks.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 04:53 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I have started filming concerts for a TV show recently. The advice of using a camera flash to sync cameras is the greatest thing I have heard in a while. THANKS.
Wes Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:37 PM   #18
Major Player

Glad to help.

The club was called Azucar in Cancun, next to Dreams.
Single cam..just me grabbing different angles for b-roll.

But, another word of caution on the A1.. do not use the lcd to setup the cams. use the vf and magnify the dark and light areas to spot grain.
the lcd is good to monitor once you have your look..and i learned that the hard way. i also use the white balance preset on the top of the cam
to achieve my desired temp. i was also shooting at either -3 or 0 db.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 09:05 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Weiss View Post
But, another word of caution on the A1.. do not use the lcd to setup the cams. use the vf and magnify the dark and light areas to spot grain.
the lcd is good to monitor once you have your look..and i learned that the hard way. i also use the white balance preset on the top of the cam
to achieve my desired temp. i was also shooting at either -3 or 0 db.
Ok, so the attached view finder is what you are referring to?
I'm not sure how much better that would be over the LCD..?

I have gotten two XL-H1's so if anyone has any advice on matching these images, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 10:56 PM   #20
Major Player

Out of the box, the lcd showed a brighter, less colorful image.
So my footage was over saturated and under exposed...plus i was using presets. the vf has always been accurate. it took a while to match the lcd with the vf. the lcd is wonderful for monitoring and focus, but i still set up my color and exposure in the vf.

the h1 and a1 are basically the same. matching them should be easy.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #21
New Boot

HELP!! Live music and low light

I am using a Sony HVR-Z1U and Sony HVR-A1U. When I shoot live bands, it's really grainy and I have tried all diff kinds of settings. Should I use lights with a colored gel? How can I get good resolution in HDV without all the graininess? What would be good settings? I was trying to shoot in Cineframe24 which definitly requires more light. I have the Z1U on lockdown and use the A1U for closeup handheld shots. All of these terms used on here are over my head. I usually start both cams close to the same time and use a camera flas for a sync tool. I also capture audio on my Tascam HD-P2 Hi Def Audio recorder straight from the house mixer. I have a very important shoot on the 23rd and need to make it perfect. Any help would be GREATFULLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Greg
Greg LeBlanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #22
Major Player

Interesting... I've shot with the Sony FX1's in about 10-12 concert/club venue's now and am not seeing the same effects. I use no lighting.

You *definately* want to white balance your cameras. If you're not doing that (and I presume you are) that would be step #1.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Padilla View Post
I am in charge of making a Music Video for a Professional group in a Live atmosphere.. 45 min rock concert.

The final product is meant for band production EPK kit and nationwide Music Video DVD distribution for the release of a new album. There is a set/lighting show for the production. To give you an idea.. the budget for lighting alone has exceeded the budget for filming. It's a big event and I only have this shot to make it look as good as possible.

Here is what we are doing:

• 5 camera shoot -
(so far I have 3 XH-A1 of my own, and were planning on renting the other two, or renting the XL version.. or 5 of something else entirely)
• one 15ft. Jib
• A Steadicam Operator
• A roaming (handheld)
• and two lock-down (tripod) shots

My concern is the cameras.. are these the right cameras for the job? WE ARE NOT CUTTING LIVE.. NO LIVE EDIT, So that is a tremendous benefit! But we are planning on having a director (probably me) oversee the shots. Obviously I want this to look as professional as possible.

Questions.. IF these are not the right cameras then which Cameras and why?
If we DO use these cameras what are your recommendations on presets?
I am currently using the Terra pre-set for most stuff.
Lastly I really like the look of 24P, however I don't know what is the norm on these type of shots.. 60i?

There seem to be some famous people in this production.. So I really want to do an excellent job.
:) Thank you for your help!
Michael... curious as to how it went in the end on your shoot in the summer.

thanks in advance
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #24
Major Player

Yes, I too would like to hear how this went..
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:16 AM   #25
Regular Crew

I hate live stuff, used to do it loads, but never again... (lie- I'm sure it'll happen)

Stage light looks crap unless it's lit for tv. Way too many other variables, including the band's performance itself.

You can obviously get good results, but its a risky high stress job that will never rival a promo fully directed, lit and shot by yourselves (be it live, or live-style)

just my 2p (we've shot several dozen live sets)
Kris Bird is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders