I need your help guys - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 18th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #16
Contributor

Ha! My look-at-the-box technique was accurate.:)
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #17
Major Player

Some crack detectives, we are.
Old November 18th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I Ran the cleaning tape just before I started to shoot today and I still Got more color blocks I used a brand new sony tape. This is getting hopeless. Before i was using panasonic tapes I switched to sony and the problem still there.
Attached Thumbnails
I need your help guys-color-blocks.jpg   I need your help guys-color-blocks2.jpg  

Alain Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #19
Major Player

Run the cleaning tape 1 more time; and make sure your tape transport isn't dusty or dirty. Also, let us know things like:
-how often the artifacts are lasting- a frame? Few frames? Half-second or more?
-if you are shooting HDV or DV.
-if you are using the $3 Sony tapes or the $15 Sony tapes

Just eliminate as many variables as you can.
Old November 18th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hill View Post
Run the cleaning tape 1 more time; and make sure your tape transport isn't dusty or dirty. Also, let us know things like:
-how often the artifacts are lasting- a frame? Few frames? Half-second or more?
-if you are shooting HDV or DV.
-if you are using the $3 Sony tapes or the $15 Sony tapes

Just eliminate as many variables as you can.
They last a Frame (one second or less It's really fast), I was shooting dv with 3 dollard tapes.

thanks
Old November 19th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #21
Major Player

Alain, until you get to the bottom of the problem (heads checked, etc.) since these look like DV dropouts & only last a frame or so... if it's footage that can't be replaced & you have to use it... export & fix the frames in Photoshop, then import back to cover :) No one would be the wiser.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks, I will try to use more expensive tapes if the issue continues I will send my camera to Canon for service.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 03:14 AM   #23
New Boot

Until recently, I have solely used Canon HDVM-E63PR tapes – without any serious dropout issues. As these tapes are very expensive – and difficult to find – I bought 12 of the Sony DVM63 tapes two weeks ago. (As recommended on this forum, I used a cleaning tape before switching tape brand.)

Immediately after starting using the Sony tapes, I got serious dropout problems. For instance – trying to capture one of my tapes via FW, was splitting my 50 minutes shot in 25 pieces, each with several seconds missing in between. (I first believed it could be a FireWire problem, and disconnected the camera, trying to playback the tape without capturing. The dropouts was visible on the LCD as well, starting with the «50i» symbol disappearing.)

Repeating the cleaning process made things a little better, but after capturing one or two more tapes, the problem was back. It seemed like the video head was clogging up very fast.

Due to my projects deadline, the only solution was to start reusing my old Canon tapes. I ran the cleaning tape once more, and started over. Everything was immediately much better – maybe one small dropout every second tape or so.

(All the recording sessions and capturing mentioned are continuous shots, about 50 min. of length).

I have been recommended to try the Panasonic HDV tapes and have ordered some of these. (They are one third the price of Canon HDV tapes, and half the price of the Sonys, so i'm crossing my fingers...)

:-)

Bw
Sven

Last edited by Sven Ohrvik; November 23rd, 2007 at 05:25 AM.
Sven Ohrvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:38 AM   #24
Regular Crew

I have not had any drop out issues with the sony tapes, it's just the colors blocks.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 09:51 PM   #25
Major Player

In the SD world, those ARE dropouts. Of course you never commented on whether you're shooting SD or HDV. HDV dropouts behave very differently than SD, being that there may be a 15 frame or longer freeze. But those, as I've said before, look exactly like they would with SD.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
In the SD world, those ARE dropouts. Of course you never commented on whether you're shooting SD or HDV. HDV dropouts behave very differently than SD, being that there may be a 15 frame or longer freeze. But those, as I've said before, look exactly like they would with SD.

Bill
Yeap, I'm shooting SD. The strange thing is that vegas has not detected any drop out issue during captured.
Alain Mayo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders