Video Monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 23rd, 2007, 02:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Video Monitor

Hey guys... I am debating on a video monitor for the A1... Here are the basic choices I have narrowed it down to:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...D_Monitor.html

Or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...D_Monitor.html

Curious if any of you have experience with these monitors and the A1... I am on a budget and would like to stay in the sub $1,000 range... Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well...
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #2
New Boot

Hi Doug

I have the varizoom which i purchased to use with my XM2.
I will experiment today on my new A1, although I have to say that I'm pretty sure it wont have enough resolution to accurately focus for HD.

Trev
Trevor Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Bray View Post
Hi Doug

I have the varizoom which i purchased to use with my XM2.
I will experiment today on my new A1, although I have to say that I'm pretty sure it wont have enough resolution to accurately focus for HD.

Trev
Thanks for the input... I am mainly looking for a good reference monitor... Also I am going to get a 35mm adapter so I needed to be able to flip the image without having to tilt my head sideways... lol... Thanks again...
Old July 25th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #4
New Boot

Hi Doug

Update, Just finished using the varizoom on my A1. OK for framing but I would not rely on it for focus or exposure.
I don't use 35mm adapter so cannot comment on it's suitability.

Trev
Trevor Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 12:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

You need to get a decent monitor to show HD...I use a Marshall but supposedly the Ikan 8000 may be good enough. The Varizoom TFT-7 is subpar for HD work. And if you are going to use a 35mm adaptor..forget it. I doesn't work because it is SD not HD.
Old July 26th, 2007, 07:34 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Sorry never mind. :)

Last edited by Kevin Amundson; July 26th, 2007 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Question was answered in previous post.
Kevin Amundson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #7
Major Player

This may be rather larger than you are looking for, Doug, but the Sony MFM-HT205S (20" LCD HDTV and PC monitor) is a bit of a bargin (around £360 - £400) if you can still find one (Sony appear to have just discontinued it!). Several video dealers in the UK have been recommending it for NLE work. I have one and am VERY pleased with it. However, it's rather large for location work and needs AC power...
Old July 27th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #8
Regular Crew

We had been looking for an HD monitor for quite awhile and there was no way I was going to be able to afford $1000. It just wasn't in the budget.

But we lucked out and found this dirt cheap Polaroid 15 1/2 inch HD Tv/Monitor: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5645637
at Wallymart.

It's perfect for studio shoots (I would never take it in the field). It has HDMI, component and S-Video inputs and it looks really nice (1024 x800)
It has an odd screen ratio (16x10) though it hasn't seemed to be a problem and it has a rather narrow viewing angle... but for focusing it is awesome.

We've been using our XHA1 plugged into the analog component inputs and it knocks the socks off of every client that's had a chance to see it.

We're in love with it and highly recommend it.
Old July 30th, 2007, 03:26 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Kirk Kauder View Post
It has an odd screen ratio (16x10)...
16:10 Seems to be pretty standard for computer monitors. My Sony is the same, and so are most "widescreen" VDUs. HTH.
Old July 30th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #10
Regular Crew

That's funny...

The TV died in our guest room so we went to Walmart last night to get a new one.. and which one did we get? Yep, the Polaroid 15 1/2 inch HD Tv/Monitor, it was on sale for $280 something. We went with that one for the same reason.. to use it as a studio monitor. Not too crazy about it being made by Poloraid, but it is a nice looking unit. I would have no problem taking it out in the field... as a matter of fact I wish I could, but unfortantly it will not run on battery power.

-John
John B. Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders