XH A1 Dynamic range at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 24th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #1
New Boot

XH A1 Dynamic range

OK, I'm stumped. I have an XHAI and as it came out of the box, that is, using no custom preset file, the image is very lacking in colour saturation. No problem, says I, I'll just set up a custom preset and raise the colour saturation. Well, that seems to work except for the dynamic range. Using a black and white image and checking on the waveform monitor in Console 1.1, it is no trouble to set "white" to 100 IRE, but "black" sits at about IRE 25 no matter what I do.

This being a PAL machine, the setup is set at 0. I have tried varying black (stretch, middle, press), various set-up levels, contrast, winding exposure up and down (the whole waveform simply shifts, as expected), and anything else I can think of but I cannot vary the range of 25 to 100.

I am even beginning to wonder if something is wrong with the camera! What am I doing wrong? Or not doing at all? Perhaps younger brains out there can solve this in an instant. Please assist if possible and earn my undying gratitude!
Neal Reville is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders