Nikon to XL Adaptor - which ND filters? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 13th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Nikon to XL Adaptor - which ND filters?

I have a Nikon to XL adaptor in the mail from B&H and a much-loved set of Nikon primes waiting to be popped onto my XL2

I'm just wondering what people are using in leiu of ND filters when using SLR lenses on their XL cameras?

Are you going for screw-on circular ND filters, or the whole mattebox/slide-in filter arrangement?

I don't want to have to stop-down my fast f1.4 Nikon primes as I want the shallow depth of field.
Paul V Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #2
Trustee

You will still not obtain much of a shallow field of view - even with a Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 or 85mm f/1.8 - using the normal XL-to-Nikon adapter.

Regarding ND filters, if you want to keep the lens open (and you'll be keeping it wider than f/5.6 most of the time in video anyway) then either the the front-mounted screw-on ND filters or Cokin/Lee etc square filters will work OK.

A Polarizer lens works well as an ND filter and provides bolder colour and less reflections.

I use round 72mm screw-on filters and square Grad filters (4X4, 4X3 etc) on my Nikkors with the XL bodies.

For my longer ED-IF lenses such as 300mm f/2.8 and 600mm f/5.6 I use small drop-in rear 39mm filters and also huge 122mm filters on the front.
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your insight!

My main objective is to utilise the superior Nikon ED glass and have much better tactile manual focus, not to mention internal focus and zoom in some cases.
The Nikon 85mm f1.4 has a focus throw of roughly 50 degrees and a beautifully rubberised grip - and it's $2k-3k cheaper than a broadcast zoom of similar optical quality. That's what I'm looking for.
I prefer working with primes whenever possible.

I need the fastest lens possible to shoot concerts and production shows - the Nikon 85mm f1.4 blows the stock Canon XL lens out of the water in that regard.

Don't worry about DOF - I have the LetusXLE for that ;)
Old September 1st, 2007, 06:06 PM   #4
Trustee

Paul,
Can't you use the Nimon primes with the letus?
I shoot with an XLH1, and have Nikon photo gear. I'd like to try a couple of primes, and I thought that you had to go with a letus, etc. From this thread, it sounds like the Canon to Nikon adaptor lets you use nikon primes, but doen't give you shallow dof. Can't you accomplish both with the Letus? Under what conditions would you use the adaptor and not the Letus?
Thanks .
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 02:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Nikon Primes

I want the XL-Nikon adaptor in order to use manual focus primes and to take advantage of wider maximum apetures on Nikon lenses.

The possibility of using top of the range f2.8 zooms with manual focus is also appealing.

The 7x focal length magnification doesn't bother me - I mostly shoot stage shows from 20 to 50 feet away. I like the idea of shooting with an 85mm f1.4 Nikon which has an excellent throw on the focus ring and much wider apeture than the stock 20x XL lens at the same focal length.

The Letus is nice for controlled, scripted narrative situations but it's rather inconvenient and inconsistent for shooting live performances.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 02:52 PM   #6
Trustee

Paul,
Thank or the clarification. Do you have a link to the actual adaptor for using nikon primes on the XLH1? Are you also saying that you could use a fast Nikon zoom like the 70-200 f 2.8 vr? I currently have a 17-55 f 2.8, an 18-200 vr ( would this lens work?),a 50 mm f 1.8 and a Tokina 12-24 wa.I'm trying to put together the money for the beautifull Nikon 70-200 f2,8 vr.
bruce yarock
www.yarock.com
Old September 2nd, 2007, 02:53 PM   #7
Trustee

Forgot to mention the 85mm 1.4....can't wait to get one.
Bruce Yarock
www.yarock.com
Old September 2nd, 2007, 06:09 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The 85mm f1.4 is the king of Nikon Primes.
It has a beautiful 9-blade bokeh, long throw on the focus ring and huge chunks of glass soak up the light.
I just shot a wedding in a marquee using only the rope lights and chinese lanterns as a source.

I ordered my adaptor via B&H. I haven't tried it yet - it's waiting for me at home until I return from overseas.
Novoflex is the brand I think.

Bear in mind that none of the lenses automatic features will function when attached to a Canon XL camera. This means the VR will not work, and "g" or "dx" lenses with no apeture ring will have to be stopped wide open by shoving a little bit of paper into the apeture lever.
Any manual lens will work nicely, as will the AF Nikkors.
Also remember there is a focal length magnification factor of more than 7...
Your 17-55mm will end up with a 35mm equivalent of 119-385mm or more.
The 85mm will end up looking like a 595mm mega-zoom on an XL camera.
Using 35mm SLR lenses on the XL is only useful if you can live with the massive zoom magnification, other than that you gain the benefit of superior glass and full manual control for a fraction of the cost of Canon's 16x manual XL lens. (assuming you already own some decent 35mm SLR primes)
Paul V Doherty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders