Hooking up wireless mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 25th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hooking up wireless mics

Well I just got my mics in today, Sennheiser EN 100G2 series. I hooked them up to the camera and can get them to work but not in conjunction with the shotgun mic. How do I do this? Also what are the best settings for my wireless mics? THanks, Russell
Russell Feller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #2
Major Player

What shotgun mic do you have? Are you using the SKP100 plug-on transmitter?, or are you using the bodypack with an adapter cable?
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The shotgun mic is the standard one that comes with the XL2, has the two prong plug in it. And I also have the stard XLR plugs that come on the XL2, nothing "aftermarket" or special.
Old September 25th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #4
Major Player

I think one of the two prongs on the XL2's mic is for power. This is why you are having trouble using it with the bodypack transmitter, it can't get power.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

In order to use the built-in mic your XL2's audio has to be switched to "Front," however then your XLR inputs won't be functional. On the other hand, to use the XLR inputs you need to switch your XL2's audio to "Rear" but of course then your built-in mic won't be functional. To my knowledge it's either one or the other, sorry... =(

The best solution to simultaneously record with both a wireless mic AND a shotgun is to get rid of the built-in mic altogether (which is not a true shotgun, but actually an omnidirectional mic anyway) and instead plug an XLR shotgun into one of your XLR inputs and plug an XLR wireless receiver into your other XLR input. Then you've got the best of both worlds: nice clean sound from your wireless system on one channel and room/ambient sound from the shotgun on your other channel.
Ryan Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Which one would be more beneficial for hunting?
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #7
Wrangler

Hunting as in wild game a field/in the woods?

What is the purpose of the sound?

What do you want from the stock mic, ambient sound?

The stock mic is a stereo mic with generally cardoid pickup patterns for each channel that are centered 45 degrees to the right/left of the axis of the mic body.)

One option is to go to 12-bit, 4-channel mode, and connect the wireless to Channel 3/4 and leaving the stock mic on Channel 1/2
Old September 26th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Yes, wild game and in the field. The wireless mic is for the hunter and the stock mic would be for just normal sound. I have tried messing with putting one on channel 3/4 and one on 1/2 but I just cannot get them to work together.
Russell Feller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders