Does XL-2 have TTL metering? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 10th, 2007, 03:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Does XL-2 have TTL metering?

I know this may seem parochial, but as I am to SOON be an XL-2 owner, I haven't read any mention about an internal light meter, etc. As a former still photographer, I relied on TTL metering, plus I had a Sekonic hand held flash meter which measured flash as well as ambient light.
Does the XL-2 incorporate TTL or something similar? How are exposures values revealed, calculated, etc?
FWIW...the best price that I have found so far is $3,499.00 (B&H, Adorama, etc), if anyone knows of a better source, please let me know, THANKS!
Derek Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Derek,
We advocate going through the sponsors on this board, because they are thoroughly vetted, and provide great value and service.

Yes, of course the camera meters Through The Lens. All video cameras do. You can set the display to indicate what your f-stop reads, and there is an 'exposure' bar, which indicates where your exposure falls within the metered range. Additionally, you can set the viewfinder to display 'zebra stripes'... litterally striped bars that show up on highlights... indicating the exposure range of those highlights, based on what you set them at. Such as 90%... for instance.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

TTL metering...

Thanks Richard, I have been reading up a lot about the zebra bars, et al, and have also found a site (through this one) that offers a comprehensive tutorial on the XL2.
I am experienced in Photoshop and it's histogram, etc., so it seems like this maybe something similar, where you can actually see the results of your 'settings'.
I am now in process of finding an inexpensive single light set-up for interviews, etc. I'm wanting to go with a 1000 watt (bulb) system, along with a softbox. And I do indeed visit the sponsor links, they are quite convienent to have only a click away. I've also been looking at a few shotgun mics, but have yet to make any determinations...they all look so good, lol.
Thanks again...(as I'm sure I'll have more to come :O)

Derek
Derek Mills is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders