FCE vs FCS..? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 4th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #1
Major Player

FCE vs FCS..?

I wonder if someone could briefly describe the differences between Final Cut Express 4 and Final Cut Studio 2 -- i.e., I'd like to know what features are omitted in FCE.

-- peer
Old March 4th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I suggest that you read the following article http://camcorders.about.com/od/video...CutCompare.htm
Old March 4th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Major Player

I don't think this is in the right area. But Studio comes with more than FCP. It also comes with programs like Color, Motion, Soundtract, DVD Pro and so on
Old March 4th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Paquin View Post
I suggest that you read the following article http://camcorders.about.com/od/video...CutCompare.htm
Unfortunately, there is no date on that article, but since its reference is to FCE HD, I don't think it addresses the updates to FCE in version 4.

Although I don't have FCE, I have read up on a bit and it seems that is some cases, Apple has blurred the line between FCE and FCP with the introduction of this new version.

It seems like with this new version, Apple has introduced keyframes to filters (the previous version allowed motion keyframe but not with filters).

It also features an open timeline and updated support for newer codecs including real time editing with AVCHD - but doesn't support uncompressed HD as FCP does.

Apple also lowered the price for FCE 4 to $199 US which is a significant price drop for that range, but they also took away Soundtrack from the FCE package.

FCE continues to include LiveType, but unlike FCP, it does not include a Quicktime Pro key.

Also, I understand there is not as much plug-in support with Express as there is with Pro - possibly because there might not be as many plug-in creators supporting FCE in general - I'm not sure. Lots of plug-ins work equally well between the two, but not all - possibly because FCE works on the AIC base codec (Apple Intermediate Codec) like iMovie. However I should also mention that FCE 4 has added a significant amount of new stock filters to its arsenal.

I have heard conflicting reports on the capture capabilities of Express (batch capture / log-and-capture) so I'm not sure what the verdict is - but I do know that previous versions of of Express have been lacking in this department. ( I rely heavily on a good log-and-capture workflow)

At $199, my opinion is that FCE is really a bargain. A great interface with lots of power and very reasonably priced.

But on the other hand, if there is a need for more control, options and a larger budget, FCP offers tons more over FCE. As noted, FCP comes only in the Studio 2 package for $1299, and includes Soundtrack Pro, Motion 3, DVD Studio Pro, Color, Compressor, LiveType, Cinema Tools and a key for Quicktime Pro.

Hope this helps.
-Jon
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #5
Major Player

As mentioned, FCE is very similar to FCS,but with some of the high-end add-ons missing. The interface is the same, and the learning curve is the same for both. FCE is a great bargain, and a good way to find out if you want to do your own editing at all, before spending the big bucks for Studio. Finally, I believe there is an upgrade path from FCE, that offers a discount on Studio, so you wouldn't be paying full price for both. Check Apple.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Paquin View Post
As Jonathan pointed out, unfortunately there isn't any date on that article -- so when the author says that it's not possible to adjust the luminance or chrominance or thin or soften the colors using FCE, I wonder if that's also the case with FCE-4?

-- peer
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #7
Major Player

Not sure if it's still the case but I know FCE couldn't do the 2:3:3:2 pulldown on the advanced 24p footage. That may or may not even be a concern for you though.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders