A beautiful sight! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 26th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Nice flow through the whole trailer. And depth of field looked great. Only complaint is that it's dark but maybe that's just my monitor + VLC setup? But some gain would be welcomed.

One question regarding the setup; how much light stop does that setup use?

Regards.
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
http://www.film-it.net/client/montes...ler_v202-1.wmv

For anyone interested in how the project is shaping up, this link should take you to a low res version of the teaser that is going up on the client's website next week.

It has a few examples of where those cine lenses and the Mini 35 can deliver a shot in ways the stock lens can't easily achieve.

Actually it isn't this version that's being posted on their site as I have to do some work on the audio, which is harsh in places. Also, the background music is just a placeholder courtesy of Cinescore. Not sure if I'll be using that or a piece that's being composed for the full video. Anyway, this gives you an idea.

Critique and suggestions welcomed.

Ian . . .
David Odell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:11 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Thanks David,

Yes, on reflection it's dark on the computer screen. Looks nice and bright on a production monitor and on a TV but as this trailer is destined for the web only I will need to work on the levels. Glad you pointed it out, thanks.

Re the setup, I guess I should ask the DoP that question. I'm afraid he left for Switzerland today but will be back in a week.

Cheers,

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:49 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks,

one other question; could you post some screen shots from the film?
I'm interested to see how well the Mini35 renders the detail.

Best.
David
Old April 26th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #19
Inner Circle

http://www.film-it.net/client/montes...ler_v203-1.wmv

Hopefully this is a little brighter. I played wih the levels a little. Keep in mind the actual project is to be delivered on DVD so I'm not really looking to spend too much time tweaking the web trailer.

Re stills, sure, be glad to. Are you interested in seeing them as they come out the camera or after they've been through post? May not get around to it this weekend but would be happy to post some up soon.

Ian . . .
Old April 26th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
http://www.film-it.net/client/montes...ler_v203-1.wmv

Hopefully this is a little brighter. I played wih the levels a little. Keep in mind the actual project is to be delivered on DVD so I'm not really looking to spend too much time tweaking the web trailer.

Re stills, sure, be glad to. Are you interested in seeing them as they come out the camera or after they've been through post? May not get around to it this weekend but would be happy to post some up soon.

Ian . . .
New one looked good. But I can't really tell the difference from each shot, but it's very nice looking.

Regarding the screen shots, I would appreciate raw from cam, so one can play with it in post. I'm very thankful for your work.

David
Old April 26th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #21
Inner Circle

A pleasure Dvid, and thank you for your comments. As I say, when I get a spare moment I will put up some stills. This is SD video, hope that's OK.

Very best,

Ian . . .
Old April 27th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #22
Major Player

Real good job Ian! Actually, I was curious how your project was going along. And it's been answered quite beautifully!

I agree with David that the pacing and flow to the trailer was well executed. On first viewing, I had thought that the background music didn't quite fit. (You mentioned you may not keep that score anyway.) I thought it was a bit somber (but certainly felt introspective which I liked). On second viewing, I guess I didn't mind the BG music that much. Hmmm...

I'm also interested in the settings used by your DOP; very much liked the look of it, from the depth of field, slow easy cam moves, and various angles.

I'm very interested in putting an adapter to our XL2 (maybe the Letus, if I can save up for one!) to achieve some of the things you're doing.

Best,

--JA
www.madjavaproductions.com
Jeff Anselmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Thanks Jeff, most kind. When Alvaro (the DoP) returns from his trip I'll ask him to comment on his choice of settings etc.

Some of the camera moves were added in post, specifically some of the very slow, very slight crawls in. I firmly believe that when you only have a minute or so to tell your story you need to get a lot of the emotion across with camera moves, as you don't have time to do that with words alone. Because of the nature of the shoot (ie very much observational rather than staged) we didn't have the luxury of being able to set the dolly up each time.

My favourite was the overhead shot of the table. I bought an indie level jib specially for that shot! Interestingly, it was the only shot of the entire project that did not use the cine lenses (because they were too heavy for the jib!!).

I also am in two minds about the music bed. It is indeed somewhat sombre (but I think it's the best piece offered in Cinescore). I may shake it up a little by playing with the settings in Cinescore. It certainly won't be the music used in the finished piece (where I will be using music sparingly) but whether we change it for the trailer is a decision I may leave to the client.

Thanks again for your kind comments.

Cheers!

Ian . . .
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #24
Inner Circle

David, here's a selection of jpg stills from the Sony Vegas timeline at Best setting but with no effects. They are all shots used in the trailer and you can see that some are better than others! Hope they're of use.

Ian . . .
Attached Thumbnails
A beautiful sight!-image0.jpg   A beautiful sight!-image1.jpg  

A beautiful sight!-image2.jpg   A beautiful sight!-image3.jpg  

A beautiful sight!-image4.jpg   A beautiful sight!-image5.jpg  

A beautiful sight!-image6.jpg  
Old April 28th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Thank you Ian, they are lovely, that DJ kid looks gorgeous.

And there are very easy to work with in post. Very nice, I know now if I should save up for a adapter.

Best,
David
Old April 28th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Any time, David.

Of course if you can't afford to buy an adaptor you could do what I did - hire a DoP/Cameraman who owns one!

Cheers,

Ian . . .
Old April 28th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #27
Major Player

Nice grabs Ian. Saw the second version as well, and this one seemed to "pop" out more. (As David said, maybe the brightness helped?) But I did watch the first version from my wife's laptop screen which is a bit toned down for her purposes; and I watched the second one on my 22" screen, which is a bit brighter.

Now, I don't know whether to save up for a 35mm adapter (like a Letus) or save up for the 16x manual lens?

Any of you kind folks who've had experience with both? Any preference, pros and cons?

Best,

--JA
www.madjavaproductions.com
Jeff Anselmo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders