Canon new 6X lens with XL2 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 2nd, 2008, 01:38 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon new 6X lens with XL2 ?

Can the new Canon 6X lens be used on a XL2?

thanks, mark
Mark Hovater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:42 AM   #2
Major Player

Are you talking about the 6X HD lens for the XL-H1?
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:02 PM   #3
New Boot

I think this lens, if you're talking about the ''Canon HD Video Lens 6x XL 3.4-20.4mm L'' is only for the XL H1 camcorder.

On the Canon website they specify it's an HD lens. Looks like a hell of a nice lens.

Best regards

Luc Fontaine
Luc Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:50 PM   #4
Major Player

I know some people use the 3x wide-angle on their XL-H1, even though it was designed for SD. The comment was that it was a little soft, but not so noticeable. Putting an HD-resolution lens on an SD camera would simply mean you're not taking advantage of the lens' higher resolution, i.e. you wouldn't notice. If it's an XL mount, it should work just fine.

Martin
Old April 5th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Yes, the Canon 6x lens will work on the XL2. You will not be able to utilize the iris ring on the lens though, you will still have to adjust aperture via the switch on the body of the XL2. Canon also suggests that you will actually get a sharper image with the lens as well, though I'm not sure if I believe the sharpness would increase by much.
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Back in the day of early HD the lenses for those cameras were equally as expensive as the camera themselves due to the specific grinding and curing and polishing of the glass.
We couldn't use regular lenses (though alot of film lenses would fit the cameras but not the 2/3 type Sony barrel mounts) because the HD chips would pick up the imperfections of the glass itself.
This is probably why the 3x looks soft on the HD camera and the 6x on the regular XL2.
Just a thought.
Pat Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #7
Major Player

Just curious..What would the value be? I have the 20x and 3x does the 6x offer something these can't handle?
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #8
Major Player

Probably for those times when 20x is too much and 3x doesn't have the reach you need. There have been times I wanted to be able to pull in just a little tighter than the 3x would let me. It's always nice to have another club in the bag for those oddball chipshots.

Martin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders