Picture This at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:51 AM   #1
Major Player

Picture This

I have completed a new documentary recently, and would love some feedback. The documentary was a 48 hr. project (48 hrs. from idea to completion).

Critique would be appreciated in any area: audio, lighting, camera settings, graphics. The entire doc. was shot on an XL2 and the footage has not been manipulated in any way (no color correction). I am now trying to capture all of my looks in camera. Please let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions about contrast, colors, or sharpness.

http://www.rpmproductions.info/video...cture_this.mov

Thanks,
Ryan
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Major Player

Good stuff, Ryan. Lighting was well done, indeed. Did you have to do any kind of post on the shots where Bill was turning on his lights? It would seem that he would have been really dark since the light is so bright. Care to share what accessories you used...or was it a stock XL2?

Anyway, good job.

Jonathan
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey Jonathan,

Thanks for the feedback. The shots with the lights were kind of an accident, I was hoping for more of a silhouette, but I liked what I saw through my viewfinder and went with it. Nothing was manipulated in post in any way.

I did use a stock XL2 with the 20x for all of the shots. The interview audio was captured with a Sennheiser Evolution G2 wireless lav. kit, and the b-roll audio was captured with a Rhode NTG-2 short shotgun. I also use an eight inch Ikan monitor for interview shots, but captured all of the b-roll with the stock viewfinder. For the dolly shot across the picture albums I used a track and dolly system that I built from ply wood, skateboard wheels, and some pvc pipe (quite smooth actually).

Ryan
Old May 3rd, 2008, 08:39 PM   #4
Major Player

Eh, regardless of whether it's a silhouette or what's there, I still say, good job with the stock equipment. The dolly shot worked well too. Are you using Digital Juice products for the lower thirds or did you design them yourself?

Jonathan
Old May 3rd, 2008, 11:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks again for the positive comments Jonathan. Though I normally try to create all of my own graphics, the time restraints on this project made me decide to go for the DJ lower thirds. I just recently realized that the credits do not reflect this, I grabbed the credits from another project that I had done previously and didn't realize that the credits were misrepresented on this project. Oops! I need to change that ASAP. Sorry DJ!
Old May 4th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #6
Major Player

You don't need to credit DJ in your credits. Is that what you're "oopsing"? I have never credited them in my projects. If you use DJ products, you own them...they're your "creations".

Jonathan
Old May 4th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #7
Major Player

Nice, so I don't have to change the credits after all. I just feel guilty for claiming someone else's work as my own, but I guess that is why we pay big bucks for the graphics and such right? They are definitely a luxury, especially in a pinch.
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders