What presets for achieving correct blackness? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 28th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What presets for achieving correct blackness?

Hi,

I was wondering after trying to find a value which achieves pure back. Black as in the letterbox from a 4:3 monitor or Photoshop #000000.
Is there a Master Ped. / Setup Level that gives me that blackness without loosing too much info like putting both at -6?

Put it another way, on Panasonic DVX100 the Master Ped. needed to be put to -6 for achieving correct blackness.
But its more controllers in the XL2 so help would be appreciated.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
David
David Odell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #2

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "correct blackness". It would depend on the specific situation, wouldn't it? What may work in one setting would not necessarily work in another.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah sure, it will depend on the actual shot, in the sense that the black shifts between dark grey etc. But I wonder when there is pure black in a shot, what's the value for achieving it, so it won’t turn up grey? Maybe it's different compared to the DVX since the XL2 register much more in the shadows?

Anyhow, It's not a big thing the postproduction can easily do it.
David Odell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Odell View Post
But I wonder when there is pure black in a shot...
Rarely, and I mean very rarely, will you find pure black in the day-to-day world. Think about it. Pure black is the absence of all light. Even when you think you "see" pure black, there's a most excellent chance it isn't.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders