Getting 1960s Home Movie Look at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 29th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Getting 1960s Home Movie Look

Hello Everyone,
I'm working on a short film using my XL2 and for one sequence, I'd like to get a dreamy, 1960s home movie look. Any tips/techniques for doing this in camera? I'm a Mac user, so I input my custom presets manually.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

And thanks for an amazing forum! I'm learning so much!

Keaton
Keaton Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

More detail on the scenes: One is indoors, family scene, large room with lots of natural early afternoon sunlight.

Another scene is outdoors, family BBQ, 4-5pm summer sun.

Third scene, indoor, evening scene, low-light large family dinner.

Keaton
Keaton Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Not clear what the context of the imaging is here. Are these scenes supposed to represent actual '8mm' images? As if they were shot on 8mm or Super8 film? IF so, then make sure the images are 1:33, and you could add any of the 'film effects' that come with various NLE's. Don't go overboard on the 'dust and scratches' - too much is too much. You can add 'grain' in post, or if you have an early model XL2, there is actually a 'grain' button on the body. (I think it looks like crap, but it might be what you are looking for)

Also note that early sixties 8mm cameras typically shot at 18fps. When telecined, this often presented the slightly 'fast' look that most people 'remember' about home movies - although in reality they weren't projected at that speed.

Additonally, you can shoot at 24fps, and set your presets closer to what would be a 'reversal stock'. Higher contrast, deeper hues.

Do a search for presets that mimic Kodachrome or Ektachrome.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hey, why not just shoot in super 8? You can get the cameras for nickels these days. Film's cheap too. You could even just project it on a wall and video tape that so you don't have to pay for telecine.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:22 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks!

Richard and Marco,
Yeah, it's that Super8 Kodachrome look I'm going for. I'll tweak the presets, shoot at 1:33 and 24fps and see what I can do in post. But really, it hadn't occurred to me to just get a Super8 camera and shoot from the screen. When we get some room in the budget, I think we might just do that.

Great ideas, thanks!

Keaton
Keaton Clark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders