DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Purchasing an XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/124702-purchasing-xl2.html)

Joseph Tagnipes June 25th, 2008 11:15 PM

Purchasing an XL2

Im looking into buying an XL2. Pref new. Whats a good place to buy it? Im located in Los Angles surrounding area. Whats the best thing to do? Buy it by itself or with a package? Whats a good place to go snoopin around? Help! haha

Geren Mortensen June 26th, 2008 05:20 AM

If you want new, I'd say B&H (bhphotovideo.com). Excellent prices and very good service. They offer some excellent packages that aren't filled with junk like many of the eBay "dealers." I think there's still a $300 rebate from Canon, too.

Ryan Mueller June 26th, 2008 08:11 AM

I agree that B&H is probably the best place because of their reputation and their excellent customer service. I have made many purchases from them and have never had a problem that they didn't resolve almost immediately.

As far as kits: you need to decide what you are going to need and then see if a kit will be right for you. You don't want to spend the money on a bunch of "extras" that you will not need. You will probably need a couple extra batteries (I bought third party BP-970s that have been wonderful and cheap). You will probably also need a good quality lens cleaning kit and tape head cleaner (the ones that come in kits are usually junk). You will need a bag and tripod (again most of the ones that come with the kits are junk). I think B&H is the only exception to the rule of junk kits, at least that I've found. They seem to offer a-lot of different battery configurations with their kits though, again is a fancy battery kit something that you are going to need? I still use third party BP-970 batteries with no problems. It all comes down to what your needs are. Don't get suckered into some expensive kit just because a distributor tells you that you are going to save money, often times it is how they make their money (with the exception of B&H and possibly a couple others).

Geren Mortensen June 26th, 2008 08:02 PM

I had mentioned B&H in my previous posting, but failed to mention another top-rate mail-order dealer: ******* I don't buy nearly as often from them, so I tend to forget to mention them to people. They're my "third string" dealer (B&H being my second, and ********** is my first choice as they're local and almost competitive).

Greg Boston June 26th, 2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geren Mortensen (Post 899430)
I had mentioned B&H in my previous posting, but failed to mention another top-rate mail-order dealer: ******* I don't buy nearly as often from them, so I tend to forget to mention them to people. They're my "third string" dealer (B&H being my second, and ********** is my first choice as they're local and almost competitive).

Geren, I just realized that you're very new to our forum. I know you are helping out a fellow member, but DVINFO has a policy in place and an agreement with our trusted site sponsors that they will get exclusive 'where to buy' references on the site. If you wish, you can send the other member a private email with your other recommendations.

Thanks for your understanding and welcome to the forum.

Regards,

-gb-

Geren Mortensen June 26th, 2008 08:43 PM

I apologize about that -- I read that, unfortunately, after making my comments, and hadn't yet found my way back to retract/edit the posting.

Thanks.

Jeff Anselmo June 27th, 2008 09:58 AM

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the DVinfo forums!

As you know, there are many members here that own (or have owned) an XL2. If you do a search, there are also members who have bought their cams from DVinfo sponsors.

We bought ours (as part of a kit) from Zotz Digital. Brian, the owner, is more than happy to help out and answer any questions regarding the XL2.

I think Ryan is right. You need to figure out what you'll need the camera for. But extra batteries, and a good, decent tripod (able to carry the weight of the XL2!) are definitely good things to have in your kit. And as your business (or expensive hobby :) grows, you can add more gear.

Best,

Joseph Tagnipes July 1st, 2008 06:47 AM

oh man, thanks a million guys! You have no idea how greatfull I am to have those answers! I will definitly check into those sites ASAP. How much does the XL2 weigh? apprx with the battery it comes with and lens that is.

Brad Woosley July 3rd, 2008 09:01 AM

Sent an email to you. Good luck with your purchase

Joseph Tagnipes July 9th, 2008 07:36 AM

got it! Yea my teachers mentioned to me about that. I will definitly look into it!