Shortest lens for XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 18th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #1
New Boot

Shortest lens for XL2

Hi everyone!
What's the shortest lens I can attach to XL2's body.
I want to buy Letus35 but with 20x lens my canon looks like a real cannon.
I want to keep the camcorder as short as possible.
Krystian Dobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Kristian,

I haven't tried any of them, but seeing how much I've gotta zoom the Brevis MP.1 on my XL2 to focus on the ground glass without seeing any borders (about halfway through the 20X stock lens zoom range), I don't think putting shorter wide angle lenses like the Canon 3x XL or 6x XL HD is gonna work.

You could always try to find a used LetusXL if you can get over the huge light loss (more than the announced 1.5 f/stop if you ask me!), but IMHO it ain't worth it given the XL2's low-light sensivity isn't the greatest. I used to own one but couldn't use it much indoors without lots of compromises over lighting. Outdoors was a charm though, didn't need as much ND filters as with other rigs.

All in all, I prefered a somewhat cumbersome rig that didn't loose too much light to the huge light-loss the LetusXL offered. Don't let the "bazooka" look fool you, it ain't that bad :-)

Hope this helps!
Old September 6th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I don't think the XL2 is such a great candidate for those adapters -- as you note, it's way long to begin with and when you put those contraptions in the front it's ridiculously long. Best bet is an adapter that does away with the stock lens altogether -- ç=http://www.pstechnik.de/en/digitalfilm-mini35-compact.php
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders