Best Green Screen Custom Preset? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 25th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Green Screen Custom Preset?

Didn't know if there were any settings I could tweak to get a better key in post.

I've got the pedestal pretty far down to reduce noise after the keying, but any other suggestions to get great color and a great key?
Andrew Hoag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #2
New Boot

for good result with chroma key you need good (and strong) lighting and good software if you dont have this, setting the camera wouldnt help you...
Doron Hazan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #3
DVCreators.Net

People are tall and skinny ...usually <grin>

Shoot sideways (Portrait) so you get 720 pixels tall instead of wide.

That extra horizontal resolution will help you more than anything in the DV world.
Old August 26th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doron Hazan View Post
for good result with chroma key you need good (and strong) lighting and good software if you dont have this, setting the camera wouldnt help you...
I've got two 1000 watt portrait lights, and a 15 watt for a soft light.... I think I'm good there Doran.

Everything else is set up nicely...a 3 point lighting scheme, a good quality green screen.

I was only seeing if there's anything I can do in the camera to get ever nicer keys.

EDIT: I also edit on Premiere Pro CS3, FCE, and After Effects CS3
Andrew Hoag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #5
DVCreators.Net

There is a little trick you can do with your Zebra settings to gauge how even the lighting is. Here is the example http://dvcreators.net/dv_enlightenment_greenscreen.mov

You'll want to eliminate hot spots so that your backdrop is the same brightness all the way across.

As far as getting 4:1:1 DV footage to key better via presets, I haven't found any settings on the XL2 that I would change at the expense of making the talent look worse. The best solution is still to shoot sideways.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders