XL2 Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 4th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2 Problem

So tonight I was gonna capture a quick clip into FCP, both camera and FCP were talking to each other just fine, and I was scrubbing through the footage to the part I wanted and then I hit pause, to turn to my computer to make some preparations.

When I looked back, the viewfinder screen was blue like I had hit stop. I didn't, but I hit play as I was ready to capture but.. nothing happened. The timecode on the XL2 viewfinder even went blank like nothing was recorded on the tape. Fast forwarding and rewinding the tape revealed the same results.

I tried another tape, and another battery. I turned the camera off, disconnected everything, and turned it back on again.

It doesn't see timecode on ANY of my tapes, whether new or old.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm just starting about out of school and starting off as a freelancer and can seriously not afford another one. The camera was bought three years ago-ish, but has probably only recorded around 100 hours, if that..
Matt Cikovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #2
Trustee

Matt, interesting. Last year I was shooting in Alabama. Everything was going great. While recording I could see the video and time code in the viewfinder as if all was well with life. Then, I went to rewind and review the shot. NOTHING but a blue screen. No recording, no time code, nothing but blue. Sent it into Canon in NJ. They said that somehow my heads got out of alinment. They fixed it and i never had a problem since. Did you try to review the tape in another deck? I did and still nothing, thats when I sent it in. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah, I tried another tape, no luck. Your problem sounds exactly like mine, I even called this morning and they recommended a trip to NJ for repairs. How much did it run you?
Matt Cikovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 06:30 AM   #4
Trustee

Matt, the total was $252.96 and I got it back in about 8 days. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Canon told me to send it in, just to be safe I bought a 30 dollar dry head cleaner from Best Buy and it works again.

I'm going to be nicer to this camera from now on, maybe find a minidv to be a dedicated deck for capture.
Matt Cikovic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders