XL2 & Steadicam Pilot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 1st, 2009, 11:32 AM   #1
New Boot

XL2 & Steadicam Pilot

Hey DV Info,

I'm wondering if those of you using an XL2 w/ the Steadicam Pilot would mind sharing your successful setups w/ me??? I'm finding dynamic balancing tough to achieve w/ the Rock cord attached..

My setup includes:

XL2, the Rock, Pilot w/ IDX, & micro led

I have my stage arm fully extended w/ about 14oz of weight on the bottom (8 front & 6 rear). My Gimbal is just about 5" below the stage.

Happy New Year!!

Mike
Mike Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 08:22 PM   #2
Wrangler

Not familiar with The Rock but I'm guessing it involves a cable that exits the rig or goes from top to bottom of the sled? In any event, do your DB without the cable in place and then add it.

It sounds like you have beefed up the bottom of the rig with weights a bit too much and could probably do with either adding some to the top of the rig or redistributing the existing ones. Aim to have maybe 2.5-3" of post between the stage and the gimbal, the rig will fly better that way.
Old January 1st, 2009, 08:30 PM   #3
New Boot

Hey Charles,

Thanks the "VZ Rock" is a zoom control and yes there is a wire that goes from the controller (mounted on the Gimbal handle) to the rear of the camera. When I remove the wire I loose static balance, so I guess you are saying correct balance w/o wire then add it afterward??

Thanks for the pointers on the weight.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
Not familiar with The Rock but I'm guessing it involves a cable that exits the rig or goes from top to bottom of the sled? In any event, do your DB without the cable in place and then add it.

It sounds like you have beefed up the bottom of the rig with weights a bit too much and could probably do with either adding some to the top of the rig or redistributing the existing ones. Aim to have maybe 2.5-3" of post between the stage and the gimbal, the rig will fly better that way.
Mike Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:42 AM   #4
Wrangler

Mike:

I would balance without the wire in place to make sure you are in the ballpark (both static and dynamic). Then add the wire and adjust the top stage to taste. There are many ways to manage cables with a Steadicam. The one I use the most is to make sure that the cable exits the rig close to the gimbal (i.e. wrap it around the camera and/or tape it in place) rather than hang off the back, this will help minimize the amount of torque the cable places on the system. I usually make a loop that hangs about 2/3 of the distance between the camera and the bottom of the rig, then if it is a video cable I attach it to the shoulder of the vest and strain relief it at the back of the vest. The loop allows the cable to flex as needed while minimizing the amount of influence on the rig. In your instance it would attach directly to the zoom control of course.

Another interesting method is to wind the cable around your wrist of your operating hand and then slip it between your fingers (I use middle and index). You don't need a loop in this instance. The idea is that it will become one with your own interface to the rig.

In all situations, the more flexible the cable, the better. Thin is good in general but even some very slender cable can have a solid core that causes mischief. For instance, if one was to be offered a snake cable from a sound guy, I would also check out the alternative of individual cables which may be less troublesome than a thick single cable.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:58 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for all your help Charles.....

Mike
Mike Tucker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders